Scott
Scott, Driveability expert
Experience:  Dodge,Chrysler,Jeep Master Tech since 92.ASE Master since 1990.Currently Dealer employed.
6216639

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4: crank..alternator..coil..Im getting power

Customer Question

My 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 pickup will not crank over. I have had the alternator and starter tested and even bought a new coil. I'm getting power to the alternater and starter but not to the coil. Please help I'm going crazy not having my truck running. I really need it so I can get wood for the winter before it gets too hot for me to cut. I'm running out of ideas can you help with this. My phone # XXXXX [email protected]
Thanks Bill Stokes
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

Scott :

Hello, I am Scott.

Scott :

Can I ask a few questions ?

Scott :

so the starter will not turn over or the engine will not start?

Scott :

Those are 2 different problems. No crank , or crank and no start

Customer:

the starter cranks over but the engine will not start

Scott :

ok Good, I assume no spark can be seen. Do you have a helper ?

Customer:

as far as I know but what do y

Customer:

you mean do i have a helper if your asking me if I have someone that can help me the answer is yes my wife helps

Customer:

why do I have power to the alternor and the starter but no power to the coil and the coil is new.

Scott :

good, I will list out the no start steps , Then list out the no start steps then we will go from there.The computer controls the ASD relay- this relay turns the power on for the engine, the computer needs to see rpm signal from the engine befor it keeps the relay on- the relays will click on for a few seconds as soon as the computer sees the key turn on . We can check a bunch of things at once .

Customer:

are you still there?

Scott :

I type slow

Customer:

okay but I will ha

Scott :

The first step is to check to see if the relays come on and shut off , The relays should come on for a few seconds when the key is cycled on, The relays are located in the underhood fuse box, There are several fuses inside the truck and under the hood that have to be good. have those been checked?

Scott :

You were going to say something?

Scott :

I can list out the steps and we can continue tomorrow

Customer:

have to check these suggestion tomorrow. I have checked most of them but not all of them inside the truck I will recheck them tomorrow and get back to you that sounds good and if you have any more suggestions that I can check would you and if you could would send them too my email so I can print them out tomorrow before signing back in. also is there any where on the internet I could get the diagrams and sigmatic?

Scott :

I will switch this over to normal Q&A form- its automatic , We will continue tomorrow. I will give you a list of things to check, I can send you all the factory info and diagrams- its techinical . You can find useful info at autozone.com , they are a parts store and have a lot of info, I can not send e-mails - blocked by the boss and against policy. We can continue for days - i will switch over now and send a message .

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

This is where we can continue fixing the truck.

Scott.

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

Ok, first lets check all the fuses with a test light - both fuse boxes - inside the cab and under the hood. Any fuses with no power on both sides- read the box cover or panel to find out what they are, if lights - don't worry about them. the big fuses can be looked at or removed and using a wire to connect the fuse to power use the test light on the other terminal to test. replace any bad fuses and try to start. Next lets check to see if the some relay click when the ignition is turned on. Have a helper cycle the ignition on and off while you check to see if the fuel pump and ASD relays click on and off when key id turned on. If they do not click, Find the engine computer on the passengers side of the engine bay.It has three large connectors that feed into it. While your helper cranks the engine over - start moving the connectors around -left right-up, down - hold to one side or the other , Start easy -then move them a bit harder, If it starts or tries- you likely have a bad computer. If no start and no click from relays let me know and we will go a different path, If the relays click and no start- lets test the coil output , get a clip or wire to connect to the coil output terminal, position that close to some metal and have the helper crank while you look for spark, if you have spark at coil tower , reconnect the coil wire to coil nd do the same test at the other end, if spark at the other end of the coil wire , then check for spark from several plug wires, if we have spark at the end of the plug wires , we have a good ignition ,

If ignition is ok- spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into throttle body and crank it it starts for a second- the fuel system is at fault.

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.

Ok- if the fuse are good, no clicks from relays , and will not click or try and start if computer connections are moved- lets check the wiring at the transmission connector .Its a 7-9 pin connector. Disconnect the battery before any inspection of the trans connector- the reason is that if the wires have lost insulation due to heat or oil- moving these wires if bare can destroy the computer is an instant- I know this from experience!. If the wiring is good and not no problems found we will move on- if wires are bare or stuck together- the computer may be dead- fix the wires before trying a different computer. By the way - you may be able to "borrow" a used computer for testing- I have a dozen or more "test" computers. There is a 125-150.00 core charge on computers/ PCM's . So you may need to put a deposit down with the dealers parts dept or a mechanic - just a thought.

Any how - Where was i-

Ok we are checking the computer- just checked the trans connector- looks good. - next we need a volt meter,. Let me know if we go there ,

Heres the Dodge info for your information and learning.