Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Dodge CHARGER My 2008 CHARGER WILL NOT START. I TURN KEY AND

Customer Question

My 2008 CHARGER WILL NOT START. I TURN KEY AND NOTHING HAPPENS, BUT ME PLAYING AROUND WITH THE DOORS,AND OPENING DOORS AND CLOSING, I ALSO HIT THE PANIC BUTTON WHICH WORKS. THEN I TRY IT AGAIN AND IT STARTED TURN IT TO SEE IF IT WOULD RESTART AND NOTHING HAPPEN. I TRY TO PUT A OBD READER ON BUT IT WILL NOT READ DO TO THE KEY NOT TURNING ANYTHING ON.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Hello!

Does the check engine light come on with the key on?

Do the head lights and dome light work?

Can I get your VIN?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no and no and #2b3ka43r98h173421
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.

It sounds to me like you might just have a battery issue, bad connection, blown fuse or fusible link causing you no crank condition. Electrical can be very difficult to diagnose so please stick with me and read this very carefully. There are a few possibilities here that it could be. We are going to need to run a few tests to see what is going on. Don't worry... these tests are really easy! I can walk you through this diagnoses.

The first thing we need to do it check the battery with a voltmeter. A fully charged battery must have enough cranking capacity to provide the starter motor and ignition system with enough power to start the engine over a broad range of ambient temperatures. It could be bad or just low on a charge. If the battery is bad, it can still cause a no crank condition even if it has a full charge. I would rec to get it load tested at a shop or at a battery store. A battery load test will verify the actual cranking capability of the battery. This is the best test. Or you can take a voltmeter and put it on the battery and crank the engine over. (Be sure the battery has a full charge on it.) If the volts drop below 9.6, the battery is bad and needs to be replaced! Just be sure all cable connections are clean and tight. Not only at the battery, but on the starter, engine and frame! Positive side as well as the negative side.

If all checks out, make sure that you have battery voltage on both terminals of the starter when cranking. If full battery voltage (12.6 volts) is present and the starter is not working, then the starter is bad and will need to be replaced! Just be sure all fuses small regular and large size fuses are good under the hood, as well as inside the vehicle

The only other things left would be a bad neutral position switch, bad ignition switch or a wiring or connector problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
gonna check the battery but why would the panic alarm work with the lights flashing,and on two different days it started with no problem. I will be back in 30 minutes.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
It could be because of a bad connection or maybe a bad module on board your vehicle. Just be sure that if you have an alarm system that it is not activated.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just had the battery tested and it was pulling 12.8 volts so it couldn't be that.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Ok.. check the fuses under the hood for battery voltage. If they all have battery voltage, then turn the key on and check the fuses inside the vehicle to be sure they have battery voltage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We got it started again and we hooked up the obd reader and code p0481 which is the cooling fan 2 control circuit but the code was a pending code also the engine light is on on the dash could be related to the code. Is it possible for me to fix this circuit problem on my own, if so would you know were to find it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
You bet!

WHat type of diagnostic equipment do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Nothing really what would i need.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
What size engine do you have?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
2.7
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Well, this is usually a bad cooling fan module or a bad cooling fan motor. SOme vehicles have a TSB for this. If this vehicle has comes equipped with a police package. There is a new updated high capacity cooling fan assembly for police package vehicles. However, if not, this TSB does not apply.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what is tsb and where is the cooling fan module.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Technical Service Bulletin

I will get you the locations for this module..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Sorry for the delay!

It looks like on this vehicle, the module totally integrated power or IPM module controls the function of the fan relays and motor. It is located under the hood on the passenger side of the vehicle right in front of the strut tower.
Expert:  Amedee replied 5 years ago.
Going to get some sleep. Talk to you in the morning.