Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

2000 DODGE DAKOTA: SPARK..CAMSHAFT SENSOR..POWER TO THE COIL BUT

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2000 DODGE DAKOTA HAS NO SPARK, CHANGED A COUPLE OF PARTS LIKE CAMSHAFT SENSOR, EVEN TRIED NEW COMPUTER. I HAVE POWER TO THE COIL BUT NO PALSE..
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. If your Dakota has a tachometer, does the needle move up a little when you crank it?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
NO TACK...
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok, no problem. The reason I ask is because I wanted to see if the PCM was receiving a pulse signal from the crank shaft position sensor. There are basically 3 things that cause a no spark. 1 a failing crank shaft position sensor, 2 a failing cam shaft position sensor, and 3 a failed PCM. Since you have already replaced the cam sensor and PCM, then odds are pretty good that the Crank shaft position sensor is the problem, and I recommend replacing that next. This will probably take care of your problem.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
SHOULD I REPLACE EVEN WHEN THERE IS NO CODE?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Maybe. If you have a scan tool, then pull up the crank sensor data and see if you have a signal. If you do not have a scan tool, then try this: crank the engine for at least 15 seconds, and then see if the crank sensor code will set.

Chris