Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge RAM 2500: 5.9 cummins deisel ac compressor..engage..volts

Customer Question

My question is exactly as a question asked by another person.

2006 Dodge RAM 2500 w/ 5.9 Cummins Deisel AC compressor does not engage. When the AC system is turned "off" the power to the AC clutch assembly is 11.5 volts. When the AC system is turned "on" the power to the AC clutch assembly is 12.45 volts. Freon pressure in the system is 125 psi with ac system "off" and vehicle cold. Since it appears as though the clutch is getting power, I assumed the coil to the AC clutch is bad. Therefore I tested the AC clutch restivity. The resistivity to the AC clutch is 3.95 to 4.25 ohms in one direction and 0 ohms when testing the restivity in the other direction. Also, when testing for an electrical short from the coil to the clutch housing, no short appeared. 
I've installed a new compressor along with accumulator and tube line.  Performed deep vacuum. Everything ok.

Added 1 (12oz) can of 2.5 cans; however, clutch is still not engaging.

My truck has 2 batteries and the operating voltage is 14.25.  the voltage reading to the clutch is only 12.45.  Could this be the cause of the clutch not engaging?  I've notice that one of my batteries is going bad  
Category: Dodge