Amedee
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 dodge ram 2500: 5.9L..intake..the cam position sensor..cap..rotor

Customer Question

I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 5.9L gas, it is backfireing throught the exahust about once every 10-15 seconds it has no power anf when i drive it and step on the gas it backifires alot through the intake. I did just replace the cam position sensor along with cap and rotor. there is no engine light on.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

You could have a fuel delivery problem. I would recommend to start by checking fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gage at a local auto parts store for cheap.

Fuel pressure testing is frequently overlooked but it is one of the common causes of poor performance. The test procedure must include testing that will insure normal fuel pressure under all operating conditions.

Key Factors

1. Fuel demands are low at idle.

2. Wide open throttle at high engine revs uses the most fuel.

3. Fuel pressure must be reduced when manifold vacuum is high. Vacuum pulls fuel out of the injector causing it to deliver too much fuel if the pressure remains high. Manifold vacuum is used to open the pressure regulator at a lower pressure when vacuum is high.

A good way to check your fuel pump is to run an amp test on the fuel pump while it is running or while battery voltage is being applied ot it (turning the key on, cranking your vehicle or even when your engine is running. The amount of amps your fuel pump will pull will depend on how much fuel pressure your fuel pump should supply to your fuel rail. A good rule of rule of thumb for this test is as follows:

14 to 15 psi 3 to 4 amps

30 to 45 psi 4 to 7 amps

45 to 50 psi 7 to 8 amps

50 to 70 psi 8 to 12 amps
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For a stock fuel pump what should the amps be at idle? I got 3.8 amps for my fuel pump- also the backfire is a raise in exhaust pressure and not like flames coming out

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
What is the fuel pressure at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure dont have that tool

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok.. this is going to be key...

It sounds to me like you might just have low fuel pressure. If the amps are low, chances are your fuel pressure will be low too.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So i should replace the fuel pump then

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I would verify fuel pressure first. Then if that is low, check power to the fuel pump and check for restrictions in the fuel pressure line. If the fuel pressure is low and the power to the pump is ok and there are no restrictions, then chances are the fuel pump is at fault.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will try it
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
SOunds good!

I hope this helps. You can always accept my answer now, and repost back again later on if you have any more questions. If you want to discuss it some more just hit "reply", it's free to do so otherwise don't forget to hit "accept" and leave positive feedback if you found my answer helpful.

Regards

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you dont mind i will first try what you suggested before i accept. I will leave this page open and come back if i need more help. How long are you going to be online for?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
I will be on line all day
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Amedee you still on line?

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
YUP! What have we found?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well the pressure tester said 45 to 50 psi but the amp draw reading on the pump was 3.8

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
HHMM..

WHat type of tool did you use to measure the amp draw with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
mulit meter with amp draw- sperry dsa-500 it has the claw on the top for amp draw tests
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Was the pressre between 45 and 50 when this was back firing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yup
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
And still no codes in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

none at all

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Do you know if the front o2 sensors are going rich or lean when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not sure im can get a reading from my computer scan tool- i think

Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok..do you know what the distributor synce is set at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nope it tells me the advance of the timing but i dont think it says anything about the synce- honestly i dont know what that even is
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Using a compatible scan tool, use the "Set Sync" function and set the sync to "0 degrees". This can be done by turning the distributor while in this test on the scan tool.
Amedee, Dodge Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i will try be back in a little bit
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
SOunds good!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok- it did not have that on my scanner but i figured out the problem and i am a dumb a$$, i re-re checked the wires and #2 and #4 were swapped. i put them where they were supposed to be and it runs good now
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

YUP! THat will do it!

Glad to hear it is all fixed!