Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

2003 Dodge Ram 1500: 5.7 hemi..battery not on the throttle body..TPS.

I need to replace the TPS on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 hemi, I've been told it's under the battery not on the throttle body. Please advise how to remove and install the new TPS.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Did you recieve a "p-code" that pointed you to a faulty TPS?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, actually two codes P2106 and P2175.
Truck goes into limp-mode while on a long drive (Cruise Control ON).
Has happened 3 times in the last two years. Throttle Body is clean.

Ok. First, a little background: The 5.7L engine does NOT have a TPS, per say. The job of the TPS is done internal of the electronic throttle body. (quote from the Dodge repair manual: "The 5.7L V-8 engine does not use a seperate TPS on the throttle body"). Auto Zone employees need ZERO automotive experience to be employed there. They'll sell you stuff that doesn't even exist on your vehicle to make the sale. The sensor "located under the battery" is the Battery Temp Sensor, and is not a suspect in the problem you currently have.

Now... the 2 codes you have above are directly related, and there are a lot of things that need to be tested and inspected to find the actual cause. If the tests come down to a faulty TPS, the entire throttle body will need to be replaced as a unit. If the throttle body is "clean" and the butterfly is not sticking, this still could be an interal throttle body problem (see test step#7). If you have access to a scan-tool, it's probably a good idea to run the tests below, and find the actual cause.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That figures, no other auto parts supplier had a part available for my ride.
I went by their on-line site and it stated it was for the 5.7, wrong.
Luckly for me I have the receipt and will return it...
Here's where the story gets weird, when I go to Northern Michigan on vacation I have NO problem, but when returning home and at the SAME mile marker my truck displays the "red lightening bolt" (wire-less throttle) and the engine light comes on... truck goes into "limp-mode". I have pulled off on to the shoulder, shut off the engine. Wait a minute restart and the red lightening bolt light is off, engine light stays on but I have full power. A day later the engine light is off... but I got codes P2106 and P2175. I have purchased another throttle body from a recycle-parts supplier. Why does this happend a the same spot while driving, it's NOT the same distance since this I was detered for 30 miles because of a fatal accident on US-131. Should I install the throttle body assembly and see what happens. Or is ther a "black-hole" in the mile marker 124??

HAHAHA! I doubt it's a black hole!!

You may want to look into the MAP sensor as a cause. Could be a variation in altitude that is causing the problem (the MAP sensor is Manifold Absolute Pressure and is effected by altitude!). If that is not the problem, then, without running tests, to take a guess- internal throttle body problem.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Okay, I will return the TPS and get a MAP sensor.
I wiil be returning to same area in a few months and see what happens...
this sounds to me that's makes sense, other than a "black hole"...
just is very weird the problem only occures at the same area of Michigan, whether is Spring or early Fall... then again it make it sound more like a MAP sensor failure.
But if it does occur again I'll swap-out the throttle body. I do have an Air RAID throttle body spacer on my vehicle, I installed it in 2005, might not reinstall it if the MAP sensor is not the problem, when I replace the throttle body.
Thanks for your advise.!

You're welcome! Glad I could help! Have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey noticed your handle, my first car (used) was a 1971 Dodge Charger SE with a 383 Magnum, long story short it was too much power for a 17 year old... thanks agian!

HAHAHAHAHA! If we only knew then what we know now!!

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Amen and a High-Five to that my friend!

You should be good to go from here. If you ever need me, you can request me from the main page.