Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

How do i change the rear shoes on 2000 dodge ram 1500 van

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Below are directions with photos and diagrams. If you have not done many rear shoe jobs, my absolute best piece of advice is to only tear one side down and put together at a time- this gives you the other side as a reference point.

1. Block the front wheels. Raise the rear wheels and support the vehicle safely.
  2. Be sure that the parking brake is fully released. Back off the parking brake adjuster, if necessary.
  3. Remove the wheels.
  4. Remove the brake drums.
  5. Clean the brake assembly using either a vacuum, a water-dampened cloth, or brake cleaning fluid.

CAUTION Do NOT blow dust from the assembly with compressed air. Air-borne particulates may be a health hazard.
  1. With a spring tool, disconnect the return springs and adjuster lever spring.
  2. With a suitable tool, compress the holddown springs and turn the retainers 90º. Release the spring and remove retainers and springs from the pins.
  3. Remove the brake shoe assembly from the support plate.
  4. Do NOT mix up parts from the two wheels. The brake adjusters are not interchangeable. The adjuster screw is stamped "L" or "R" for the wheel in which it is installed.
  5. Installation is the reverse of removal.
  6. Clean the support plate. Wire brush the lining contact areas on the plate and apply a thin coat of grease to prevent binding.
  7. Check that the adjusters turn freely. Brush off corrosion and lubricate the mechanisms so that the threaded rod turns freely and without binding.
  8. When installing the brakes, ensure that all components are properly seated. Do NOT force anything into place. Be sure the wheel cylinder links are seated on the brake shoes.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Clean brake assemblies with specified brake cleaning fluid, a damp rag or vacuum: Do NOT use compressed air to blow assemblies clean

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Component locations

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Disconnecting a return spring with a special tool

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Depress the holddown spring and turn it 90º to release. This special tool makes it easier

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Removing the brake shoe assembly from the support plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Wire brush the lining contact areas (arrows) and lubricate them with grease

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Adjuster screw assembly: they are not interchangeable. Adjusters are marked "L" and "R" for the appropriate wheel

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. The adjuster lever spring is installed first since one of the return springs is anchored on it

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Return springs must be hooked into the holes in the shoe (arrow). The spring long arm is attached to the pivot pin or the adjuster lever spring hook

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Installation of the adjuster lever spring and return spring

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask for more help.
Otherwise please remember to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button, but you are NOT charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm still trying to work my way thru it, but looking at the shoes on rear they still have at least half left so what would make it sound like the brakes are scrubing if that much pads left?
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

are the shoes smooth, or do they have ridges running vertically on them?

Are they really shiny(glazed)

Did alot of brake dust come out of the drums?

do the inside of drums have ridges in them

Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

ok, if drums are scored, have them machined or replace them.

If the shoes have deep scoring, go ahead and replace them.

If there was a lot of dust, use brake cleaner to spray clean the shoes and drums.

If shoes are real shiny, use 100 grit sandpaper and lightly sand them.

Lastly, check where the one photo shows where the brake lube goes. If none there, lubricate those points.

All the above will cause the rear brakes make a scrubing noise. You only need to replace them if there is deep scoring in the shoes, otherwise no need to
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you Eric for all your help, ended up being the front pads after all