david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines
533087

1987 dodge: gas mileage..150 318..highway..transmissions..electronic

Customer Question

Trying to get a little better gas mileage out of a 1987 dodge d 150 318 with a tf8 transmission.What is the highest highway gear there is for that truck ,how can I tell and what year model will work?Was any of the early A500 transmissions non electronic ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

The highest highway gear made for the Chrylser 8.25"in is a 4.88 ratio
This highest highway gear made for the Chrylser 9.25"in is a 4.88 ratio

So whether you have the 9.25 2000 and older, or the 8.25 76 to 96 4.88 is the highest you can get.
This in the link to the site.

david :

Yes the A500 was had non electronic, It is high performance transmission.
Link to site selling it.
Jegs has it a little cheaper but both transmission are made by Hughes Performance a vary good company.

david :

One more sold by RPC another company that has been making cars and trucks go fast for a long time.

Customer :

Is there any rear end I can put under it for better gas mileage?

david :

Is that what you were asking? changing out the rear end to get better gas mileage is a lot of work for not a lot of gain.

There is the 90 to 01 dodge 2500 3500 that use the 4.10 stock. That is about as high as you are going to get stock.

david :

But what you can do is pull your rear end apart and put in any gear set up you want.

The 4.88 is nice but this is a vary high gear it will depending on your tire size but higher gears can make your MPG lower then doing nothing.

david :

What is your thoughts for what you would like to see? What are you getting now?

Customer :

Getting about 13 like to get 17

Customer :

I have 235 75 goodyears on it now

david :

We are talking about 4 to 5 MPG here, Swapping out the rear end is a lot of work. It is not really cost effective if you ask me.

But the first thing I would do is a good tune up, Get the engine running right.

david :

You can sway in any rear end you like from ford to Chevy you could even put a toyota rear end if you like. But there is no rear end for seal with higher gearing then 4.10.

david :

You can try calling or going into some wrecking yards and look for something but you will need to open the dif and look at the gears to find what you are looking for.

david :

Why do you not want to put the gears into your rear end???

Customer :

81 000 miles runs perfect Trying to get better milage what do u suggest

david :

HI I am sorry we just keep going around and around with no end.

I will opt out another expert will be right with you.

Have a nice day, Please do not replay or this question will lock and the next expert will not be able to help you .