sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan: driver side power window..mechanism

2003 Dodge Grand Caravan EL, driver side power window just fell down this morning inside of door. I can still hear motor turning inside of door frame, when pressing the switch. I believe the window has become detached from the lifting mechanism. I am very mechanically inclined, is this something I can repair myself ? Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It may very well be something that you can do yourself.

The first thing you'll need to do is remove the door panel and see what has happened. The window glass attaches to the regulator's lift plates with large pins and wire horseshoe clips hold them in. It's possible that both of these could have popped apart, but pretty unlikely.

What you should find is that the window regulator is broken in some way. Either the plastic lift plates have broken off, the cable has broken, etc. If this is the case then the regulator will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you very much, is there anything I need to know (special) to pull the door panel off ? how many screws are holding it on ? what kind of driver (IE Torq,etc) do I need to remove the screws ? also, if the regulator is broke, what am I looking at (ball-park) for replacement cost ? thank you in advance for your assistance !

The door panel isn't bad to get off. There will be a screw in the pull cup, one behind the handle. There may be two at the very bottom of the door panel. They will all be philips. Once the screws are removed then you'll have to disengage the plastic push in clips that hold the panel to the door. You can use a wide flat bladed prying tool in the area of the clips to pop them loose, working your way around the door. Once you get them all loose then pick up on the panel to disengage it from the top. Reach behind and remove the rod from the latch to the handle on the door panel, unplug the window switch and the panel is off.

An aftermarket window regulator will be about $90-100, a Mopar one would be substantially more.