Daniel, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Dodge technician
17254274

How do I replace the fan clutch on the 5.9 cummins?

how do I replace the fan clutch on the 5.9 cummins?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Daniel replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.REMOVAL

CAUTION: If the electronically controlled viscous fan drive is replaced because of mechanical damage, the cooling fan blades should also be inspected. Inspect for fatigue cracks, or chipped blades that could have resulted from excessive vibration. Replace fan blade assembly if any of these conditions are found. Also inspect wiring harness and connectors for damage.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cables.
  2. Remove coolant recovery container.
  3. Using a fastener removal tool, remove the two push pin fasteners from the fan shroud lower half.
  4. Unseat the four fastening tabs and remove the lower radiator shroud.
  5. Disconnect electrical connector.
  6. Remove the electronically controlled viscous fan drive electrical wire from the upper radiator shroud.
  7. Using a fastener removal tool, remove the wiring harness bracket from the upper radiator shroud.

CAUTION: Do not remove the fan pulley bolts. This pulley is under spring tension.

1. The electronically controlled viscous fan drive/fan blade assembly is attached (threaded) to the fan pulley shaft . Remove the fan blade/fan drive assembly from fan pulley by turning the mounting nut counterclockwise (as viewed from front). Threads on the viscous fan drive are RIGHT-HAND. A 36 MM Fan Wrench can be used. Place a bar or screwdriver between the fan pulley bolts to prevent pulley from rotating.
  2. Remove the upper radiator shroud mounting bolts.
  3. Remove the fan shroud and the fan blade/viscous drive as an assembly from vehicle.

CAUTION: The electronically controlled viscous fan drive is vibration and impact sensitive, especially at the electrical connectors. Do not drop the unit.

1. Remove the six fan blade to-viscous fan drive mounting bolts.
  2. Inspect the fan for cracked, chipped or damaged fan blades

click here.