Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

Dodge RAM 1500 Rebuilt 46re is not shifting out of first

Customer Question

Rebuilt 46re is not shifting out of first gear
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.The 46RH transmission in this truck is hydraulically controlled for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear. If there are shifting problems in these gears check the throttle valve cable for proper adjustment, make sure the fluid level is correct and the fluid is clean. Ensure that there is not any clutch material or metal particles in the transmission pan. The only things electronically controlled on this transmission are overdrive and Torque Converter Clutch . Unplug the OD/TCC solenoid and see if the problem goes away or not in the first 3 gears.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
transmission is a 46re electronicly contoled has govorner solinod and sener
Yes you're correct , I misspoke I thought you had the rh Using a scan tool checked the governor pressure reading its star office zero and as you move faster the pressure should increase consistently you may have a faulty governor pressure sensor or governor pressure solenoid
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have replace both sensor and soliod. I would like to know what input to ecm regulate duty cycle of solinod the solinod max duty cycle is 30 and the maxum pressure the sensor reads is 7psi. Is there somthing that is common to make the ecm not let governer pressure go up with speed other than soliod or sensor
It uses throttle position , engine load and speed sesnsor inputs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

should I check thottle position % with scanner for opens, how do I know what speed sensor

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

This is a new Expert here! The most common cause of this is the output speed sensor on the left rear side of the transmission. The throttle position and engine load won't have anything to do with it not shifting out of first.

The output speed sensor tells the PCM the output shaft speed of the transmission which is then used for governor pressure calculations for the electronic governor. When the output speed sensor signal is missing there isn't any way to control the governor and it will normally stay in first gear without attempting to up shift. The output speed sensor can be checked with a scan tool or an oscilloscope. You can also check the resistance with an ohm meter to see if it is open or shorted. The resistance should be around 580-700 ohms.

I hope this helps, let me know! If this helps you, please click accept on my answer!

Thank you,