Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

Dodge Durango Transmission was slipping, so I had the fluid

Customer Question

Transmission was slipping, so I had the fluid and filter change. 1999 Dodge Durango with approx. 180K miles. After transmission service it shift in and out of gear for about 5 miles, then it started to slip again. What could be the problem ?

I have to down shift into 2nd gear, then shift up to drive to move it into the proper gear.

Help with answers please.

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

When you say it slips, does the engine rpm flare up like you put the shifter into neutral or does it drop down to a lower gear?

Is there any whining noise when you shift into gear?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Engine rpm flare up. It does not whine.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Does it also slip in reverse?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it does not slip into reverse.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

It sounds like you have low line pressure, this could be caused by the sump filter plugging again, an internal sealing issue or a sticking pressure regulator valve. A very common problem I see with these 46re transmissions is the converter clutch will burn out and when this happens, it will start to plug the transmission oil cooler and fill the filter full of clutch material.

I hate to tell you this but, the transmission will need to come out for repair. Anytime the transmission is slipping, it doesn't take long to burn a clutch pack or band out. I wish I had better news for you, but if the transmission is slipping, there will be damage to the clutches and bands.

I hope this helps, let me know!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the average cost for a repairs?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

The average cost to rebuild this transmission is around $2500.00 and that includes all parts and labor.

Thank you,

Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Do you have anymore questions, let me know!