Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

2004 dodge neon sxt: 2.0L..temperature gauge..coolant..thermostat

I have a 2004 dodge neon sxt 2.0L and just the other day the temperature gauge started to go from normal to cold then back to normal while I am driving. I checked the coolant and it was a little low so I filled it back up but it continues to do the same thing. I replaced the thermostat and that didnt work. Now I believe that there maybe air in the lines but I cant find the bleeder valve on this thing. If you know what the problem is or where the bleeder valve is I would really appreciate it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

Air does tend to get trapped in the system and the symptoms you have described do indicate that may be the problem right there.

The best way to get all the air out is to have the car parked with the front end up as high as you can get it, ramps are best plus an uphill driveway really helps too. Then, with the engine cool, remove the radiator cap and fill to about 1" below the top of radiator, then start the car and let it run...all the time watching the level. As it starts to warm up, you will probably see some fluid coming out the top of the radiator, that's ok, it's just pushing that air out. Let it push it out, then keep adding slowly maintaining that 1" space below the radiator cap until the fluid is real hot to your finger. At that point the thermostat has opened and all air has been pushed out and you can put the cap back on and turn it off. Check the level in the reservoir and You should be all set then.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.Please remember we use an honor system and you have to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. Even if you have a subscription, you will NOT be charged again.You can always ask follow up questions right here for no extra charge even after you click on accept.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I can try that but I have no stands or and uphill driveway. Do the neons have a bleeder valve or was that the only way to do it for this car?

No, there is not a bleeder on this engine (should have but doesn't).

If you don't have any stands, just get it on some kind of incline so the air rises to the top at the radiator. If it's flat, or pointing down hill, the air gets trapped in the engine and won't come out all the way and the temp gauge does that...we run into this all the time.

Thanks for asking today!

Virtual Wrench (L J), Dodge Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic