sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2002 Dodge Durango: shift..awhile.Tonight when I came..roll back

My 2002 Dodge Durango transmission does not always shift completely down when it comes to a stop. Tis seems to happen several times in a row and then may not do it for awhile.
Tonight when I came to a stop to open my entrance gate it was on a little bit of an upward slope and when I put it in gear to go forward it made a clanging sound like it was trying to go into gear as I started to move forward. I stopped right away and let it roll back and put it in drive again and it was fine.

Thanks, Stan
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Have you checked for fault codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I checked for fault codes and none are listed. Wouldn't the check engine light come on if the computer saw a problem?

The engine light wouldn't necessarily come on if codes were stored. If you didn't find any though we can move on. How did you check for codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With an obd2 plug in code reader.

When you come to a stop and it's in a higher gear, if you move the shifter to manual first will it take off in first?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it will start in 1st if I move the lever to 1st, I usually do that when it starts to move and I can tell it has not shifted down.

This could be a sticking 1-2 shift valve in the valve body, but it's most likely a bad governor pressure transducer. The governor transducer is a pressure sensor mounted to the valve body and it tells the engine controller how much pressure is in the governor circuit. The electronic governor is used to control upshift and downshift timing. What often happens is the governor transducer reading becomes incorrect and the controller doesn't know the actual pressure in the circuit, so pressure remains when you come to a stop, which holds the shift valves over and causes the second gear start.

The governor transducer is mounted to the right side of the valve body just to the right of the filter, easy to replace.