Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

2006 dodge: Guys..sunroof and factory DVD and XM radio..way home..rain

Dodge DVD Guys i just got a 2006 dodge Megacab with sunroof and factory DVD and XM radio. on my way home tonight we got a bad rain and water was running out of my dvd unit that is mounted on the roof. i need to remove the dvd unit to see if the xm radio antana or somewhere else is letting the water in. can you tell how to remove the dvd unit? i will also need to know how to remove the head liner to see where the leak is coming in at. 

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Whenever we see this, it is almost always a plugged sunroof drain, or some other leak at the sunroof. If you open the sunroof, and look at each of the 4 corners, you will see a small drain hose. the front drains go down the front a pillar near the windshield, and the rear drains go behind the cab just in front of the bed. Get a container of water and pour it down into each drain hole. You should see the water come out of the drain tubes just behind the front wheels and behind the cab. If you do not, then get some compressed air and try to clear out the drain. The other leak spot we see is at the 3rd brake light.

Here is the info on pulling down the DVD player, and I hope this helps.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the four mounting fasteners (1).
3. Disconnect electrical harness connector and remove monitor/player.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i want to apologize that it took me so long to respond. life happened man. i only see 2 screws under the remote i dont see 4. when i take the 2 out it will tip down and i see this metal harness hooked into the roof. i will try the drain holes also.

Does your DVD player look like the one in the picture?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes it looks just like the one in the picture and the dodge has the VES factory sytem installed.

Then there should be 4 screws. 2 under the remote, and to more towards the front of the unit. If I had a truck here with the DVD player, then I would go look at it but I don't at the moment.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hey thanks for the picture! That front clip/bracket just pulls down off of the bracket. It is sometimes difficult, and using a screw driver to bend /squeeze the clip will aid in releasing it. I have had problems getting these to come loose. Let me know if you can get it to release.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i will try to silicone the 3rd break light and try the sunroof drains. thanks for all of the help.