Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 what is the best type oil to run in the

what is the best type oil to run in the 5.9 360 dodge engine. I was told by someone who is not a mechanic that I should switch to 10W40 because it is heavier and breaks down slower that the recommended oil in the manual. Is that true or just a myth? Should I add an additive like Lucas Oil Treatment with each change? Does the filter matter and if so, whats the best filter on the market for that engine as well. I just installed another engine that came out of a Dodge Van that has only 54K miles on it and it runs great and I want to try to take the best possible care of it so that I can keep my vehicle running for as long as possible because I can't afford a new truck anytime soon unless a miracle blessing comes my way.

Thanks, Rob

10w40 is sightly thicker than 5w-30 and is better for higher mileage engines, but honestly at 54,000 miles, I see no reason to go with any thing other than 5w30 synthetic as well as no reason to use the Lucas oil additive UNLESS the engine had been sitting for awhile before it was installed. If this is the case, then go with the 10w40 synthetic and Lucas additive to help restore the seals that might have dried out. I prefer the Mobil 1 to other brands.