Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

1997 Dodge: Truck runs good..highway speed..intermittently

I have a 1997 Dodge 1500, V6 auto with 145,000. Truck runs good with one exception. After about an hour of driving at highway speed, it will cut out intermittently. I have had the truck tuned up, and had the crank sensor changed. When the check engine light comes on it shows misfire in cylinders 1 and 5 but when the mechanic does a diagnostic check the truck is running fine. I have had the truck in a shop 3 times trying to find out what the problem is with no luck. The last mechanic wanted to change the cam and crank sensor's, along with the brass bushing in the distributer, saying that may fix the problem but that he could not guarantee it. I am beginning to wonder if maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?..... I'm beginning to think it may be in the transmission. I'm at the end of my rope with this problem, any suggestions on where to look and/or fix this problem is appreciated.
Larry G.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodge expert replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Yes this is the most common cause of your problem would be a faulty camshaft position sensor Verify the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor signals are correct and that they are in time with each other. Check with a scope and compare to a normal pattern.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If one or both of those sensor's is faulty, would if not show as a fault code? Also would the aftermarket crank sensor I had installed be the problem or it not being "positioned" correctly. What kind of damage to the engine is/could occur from driving the truck until I get the problem fixed
These sensors need to be set in sync with each other but that's the reason that we are checking the sensor first Both of these sensors are fairly common to go bad but until we actually tested we do not know for sure
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This does not sound like a simple fix that a "shadetree" mechanic can do, it would require someone with a diagnostics machine to make sure the sensor's are in sync with each other, correct? I am just making sure that this will fix the problem as I am tired of spending money that does not fix the problem.
Replacing the sensor is not that hard but you must have a scan tool in order to get the two sensor in sync ,,,