Dodge expert
Dodge expert, ASE Cert Technician
Experience:  30 years experience, ase certified,shop owner

Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie How do I replace a water pump on a

How do I replace a water pump on a 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Diesel?
Welcome to just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Here's the procedure is outlined in the service Manual

Service and Repair

1. Disconnect battery negative cables.
  2. Drain cooling system.
  3. Remove the accessory drive belt.
  4. Remove water pump mounting bolts (3).
  5. Clean water pump sealing surface on cylinder block.

Clean the gasket mating surface. Use caution not to damage the gasket sealing surface.

Inspect the water pump assembly for cracks in the housing, water leaks from shaft seal, worn bearing or impeller rubbing either the pump body or timing chain case/cover.

1. Install new O-ring seal in groove on water pump.
  2. Install water pump with the weep hole facing downward. Tighten mounting bolts to 24 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) torque.
  3. Install accessory drive belt.
  4. Fill cooling system.
  5. Connect both battery cables.
  6. Start and warm the engine. Check for leaks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to remove the cooling fan assembly? I also tried to use the cooling system link in your answer and it asks me for user id and pw.
n o the cooling fan does not need to be removed, the is not a link you need for this reair
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How do I remove the accessory drive belt? Where is the best place to drain all of the coolant, and how big of a container do I need for the coolant? 5 gal, 7 gal?
a five gallon container is plenty dig enough ,,drain the coolant from the bottom of the radiator
Service and Repair

The 5.9L diesel engine accessory drive system (without a/c) consists of:

• Generator Pulley (1)
  • Water Pump Pulley (2)
  • Idler Pulley (3)
  • Power Steering Pump Pulley (4)
  • Radiator Fan Pulley (5)
  • Crankshaft Pulley (6)
  • Automatic Tensioner (7)

The 5.9L diesel engine accessory drive system (with a/c) consists of:

• Generator Pulley (1)
  • Water Pump Pulley (2)
  • Idler Pulley (3)
  • Power Steering Pump Pulley (4)
  • Radiator Fan Pulley (5)
  • Crankshaft Pulley (6)
  • Automatic Tensioner (7)
  • A/C Compressor Pump Pulley (8)

CAUTION: Do not attempt to check belt tension with a belt tension gauge on vehicles equipped with an automatic belt tensioner.

NOTE: The belt routing schematics are published from the latest information available at the time of publication. If anything differs between these schematics and the Belt Routing Label, use the schematics on Belt Routing Label. This label is located in the engine compartment.

Drive belts on diesel engines are equipped with a spring loaded automatic belt tensioner.
This belt tensioner will be used on all belt configurations, such as with or without air conditioning.

1. A 1/2 inch square hole is provided in the automatic belt tensioner. Attach a 1/2 inch drive-long handle ratchet to this hole.
  2. Rotate ratchet and tensioner assembly clockwise (as viewed from front) until tension has been relieved from belt.
  3. Remove belt from water pump pulley first.
  4. Remove belt from vehicle.

CAUTION: When installing the accessory drive belt, the belt must be routed correctly. If not, engine may overheat due to water pump rotating in wrong direction. Check for correct engine belt routing. The correct belt with correct length must be used.

1. Position drive belt over all pulleys except water pump pulley.
  2. Attach a 1/2 inch ratchet to tensioner.
  3. Rotate ratchet and belt tensioner clockwise. Place belt over water pump pulley. Let tensioner rotate back into place. Remove ratchet. Be sure belt is properly seated on all pulleys.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I got the belt off with no issues, great example! I am having a problem with the water pump though. I have taken out two mounting bolts one at the 1 O'clock position and the other from the 7 O'clock position. I cannot see any more bolts. Is there another bolth that I cannot see or there is some special way for the pump to release?
Sometimes this is a little difficult, to get the water pump remove. Does your water pump have threaded holes in the water pump itself? Some of them did which you placed new bolts and anyone actually push the water pump out of the block
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks I will try it.
Okay let me know thank you