CDJMasterTech
CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience:  Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician
18188794

you seperate the four wheel drive shaft from the transfer case.

Customer Question

how do you seperate the four wheel drive shaft from the transfer case. I have seperated the drive shaft from the front diferential , but the transfer case end will not move.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  CDJMasterTech replied 3 years ago.

CDJMasterTech :

Assuming this is the original equipment type shaft, there is no locking pin or anything else that should require drilling. There are a few different types of drive shafts. Can you describe what yours looks like at the transfer case end?

Customer:

it is tapered outward from the transfer case with a flange and apears to be a cv joint

CDJMasterTech :

If it is a CV joint style shaft it should have six or eight bolts that go through the joint assembly and attach to the transfer case flange. The bolt heads are small, only 8mm.

Customer:

yes I saw those. I need to remove that flange too so i can access the actuator switch as well as replace the shaft

CDJMasterTech :

You have to remove the drive shaft before you can remove the flange. The flange is held on to the transfer case by a large nut that is not accessible until the drive shaft is removed. You need to remove the 8mm head bolts to remove the drive shaft. I am sorry if I am not making myself clear. Is there anything I can do to clarify it for you?

Customer:

ok , the transfer case will freewheel then how do you keep it from turning with the drive shaft off?

CDJMasterTech :

I usually use an impact wrench, so there is no need to hold the drive shaft. However if you do not have an impact wrench you could put the transfer case in four wheel drive low range and set the parking brake, that will link the front and rear shafts together and will stop the front shaft from turning.

Customer:

ok thanks i will try that.

Customer:

thanks for your time . and time to pay you.

CDJMasterTech :

Is there anything else I can do for you?

Customer:

that should do i will try it in the morning it is late here now.

Customer:

did you get paid I accepted the answer

CDJMasterTech :

I think we may have lost the connection, I noticed you tried to accept but it did not go through.

CDJMasterTech, Dodge Master Technician
Experience: Factory trained and certified Dodge Master Technician, ASE Master Technician