Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist
12104952

95 dodge ram 1500: ready changed the crankshaft position sensor.

Customer Question

95 dodge ram 1500 wont start. at first it would not start intermittently and then got progressively worse now it wont start at all. all ready changed the crankshaft position sensor. but it dosnt seem like im geting a spark, but im def. gettin fuel. it will just crank and crank but wont start
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mopar Certified replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

Can you use a test light and see if you are getting 12 volts to the coil?

Also, can you test to see if you are getting a signal to the coil by using your light and placing the clip on the positive battery terminal and probe the wires while cranking. If you are getting a signal the light will flash very rapidly.

Let me know....

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can i use a volt meter?
Yes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay i have the light tester im not sure though how to test to see if im getting power to the coil. where do i clip the alligator clip and where do i probe
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay i have the light tester. i hooked it up to the positive battery terminal then stuck it into the hole of the plug where it hooks into the coil(the green wire lit up the black did not) and when the engine was turned over it lit up.
Ok, that's backwards of what you should get so, you need to clarify whether you connected the clip of your light to the positive or negative terminal of the battery.

If you have power on the green wire then you would have had the clip on the negative........is this correct?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay so when i have the light test hooked to the positive terminal. and i probe the green wire the light is on before the ignition is cranked now if i probe the black wire while the ignition is bein cranked it blinks really fast
Ok, good. The rapid blinking means the computer is telling the coil to generate a spark. If you are not getting spark........I assume you have checked........then it would mean your coil is no good.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are coil packs known to work sometime and not other times or get progressively worse. from what i understand they either work or they dont.
They can fail either way. Either al at once or gradually over time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i will replace it tomorrow and we will go from there. is there a way to see if your getting power from the top part of the coil
While your cranking the engine over, you can hold the end of the coil wire about 1/4 inch away from metal and there should be a strong spark jumping the gap.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i put a new coil pack in today still wont start getting power to the coil pack but not getting a spark off the top of it
Ok, then there is something wrong with what you've told me about the results of the tests.

First you need to have power on one wire at the coil, with your test light on the negative battery terminal...........do you?

IF.....you have power that way, then you need to move the clip for your light to the positive terminal and then check the other wire coil to the coil.....as it should flash......or blink rapidly.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so i guess i misunderstood you. today when i tested it i had the clip on the negative power terminal and wasnt getting anything to light up.so im guessing im not getting power to the coil?
Ok, and when you turn the key to the on position.....not cranking.....does the chek engine light illuminate in the dash?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes for about 3 seconds.
Ok, so if there is no power to the coil, then be sure and test all of your fuses. If one is blown it may affect the power to the asd relay which in turn powers up the coil.

Also, it may be a bad relay so you can swap in a new one and see if that helps.

Also, if the PCM does not get a signal from the crank sensor it will not turn the asd relay on so you may also have a crank sensor issue.......I know you replaced it but it doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

Have you had a chance to check for fault codes also. Cycle the key on and off 3 times leaving it on and count the flashes of the check engine light to get 2 digit code numbers.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok im not sure what this means but when i cycle the key on and off 3 times i get 3 flashes of the light then 4 then 2 then 5 and 5 again
Ok the 3 flashes will actually be one and then 2 flashes for a code 12......which is normal. Also 55 at the end is normal. So, you have a code 42 which is for the asd relay. So you will need to concentrate your efforts there by testing your fuses and maybe swapping in a different relay.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the easiest way to test the fuses and also other then the bow with relays and fuses by the battery is there another fuse pannel
There is the power distribution center under the hood and then there is a fuse box inside the truck to the left of the steering column.

The asd relay should be on the power distribution box under the hood.

Testing fuses will require a test light or volt meter. If you don't have a meter you can purchase an inexpensive test light from your parts store and it should come with instructions for using it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tell me if you have ever heard of such a thing last night after talking to you i started switching relay around and lone behold it started all of the sudden. went and bought a new relay. so today i drove it to work it started fine this morning. when i went on break i went to start it it wouldnt start so i popped the hood and start radomly swithing the postions of the relay all the sudden it started again. then when i went on lunch again it wouldnt start so i started swapping around the realys randomly again and all the sudden it started again... what do you thing multiple bad relays a loose wire i have no idea.. its so random.
If it is random like that it could be either a bad relay or a bad wire connection. Since you set a fault code for the asd relay pay particular attention to that relay and it's wiring.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay well. i got the asd code to clear and it does start however since the asd relay went and i replaced it, when my engine is cold it wont start right away or on the first try. if i either prime the pump like 3 or 4 times before turning it over it will start on the first try or if i dont prime it it will turn over for like 5 or 6 seconds and then fire up.. this never happpend before untill the original problem.. could they be linked at all. im not showing any codes . any ideas?