Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
18617752

Thermostat located on a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 L engine?

Customer Question

Where is the thermostat located on a 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.3 L engine?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

REMOVAL

• Drain cooling system down below the thermostat level. graphic
  • Remove radiator upper hose from coolant outlet connector.
  • Remove coolant outlet connector bolts and connector. graphic
  • Remove thermostat from outlet connector.
  • Discard gasket and clean both gasket sealing surfaces

INSTALLATION

To ensure proper seating of replacement thermostat, carefully remove the bulged metal from the wall of the outlet connector recess that was created during. the staking procedure that held the OEM thermostat in place . It is not necessary to restake the replacement thermostat into the connector

graphic

• Position thermostat to coolant outlet connector. Align the two locating notches on thermostat to the connector. This position will ensure proper location of the thermostat air bleed.
  • Position a new gasket over the thermostat and connector making sure thermostat is in proper position and in the recess provided.
  • Install thermostat and connector assembly to the intake manifold. Tighten bolts to 28 Nm (250 inch lbs.) .
  • Install the radiator upper hose to coolant outlet connector.
  • Refill the cooling system to the proper level
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks.

Dumb question but.. Drain the coolant from via the Radiator?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Yes. Either the drain on the lower corner, or even the lower radiator hose.

To be perfectly honest with you- I never do that. When you remove the hose from the thermo housing (#1 in image above), the coolant needed to be removed will come out all by itself. Just be ready to catch it with a bucket.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Part of this project is a coolant system flush. Instructions say to run the engine with radiator drain open (while water is being added via a garden hose). Can I accomplish the same thing by disconnecting the lower radiator hose? I can't find a drain valve, largely because of the front end body components in the way. Last question if I might. What is the inner diameter of the upper radiator hose?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

If you are going to flush the system, you might be better off using the radiator draincock. With the lower hose removed, the water might flow out fast than it's coming in- this could be a problem. The draincock is on the driver's side of the radiator, lower corner.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

As for the inner diameter of the hose- i do not have access to that information. I'd have to measure it myself if faced with the need.