Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

Dodge durango: hemi..check engine light..the gas cap indicator is on

I have an 07 dodge durango with 5.7 liter hemi. The check engine light is on and the gas cap indicator is on. I understand that this problem is common with this model and has to do with the vapor canister. My question is that the dodge parts website lists several other parts with the vapor canister (detection pump, filter, etc). Do I need these? I have had the actual vapor canister out of the vehicle and can't identify anything wrong with it. Any advice?

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

Do you have any "p-codes"?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know what a "p-code" is
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

It's a diagnostic trouble code that can tell you what is "actually" wrong with the vehicle instead of replacing parts at random.

Can you try this for me:

Get in the vehicle, and close all the doors. WITHOUT starting the engine- turn the key ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

Where the odometer is, it should display p-code (the letter "P" and 4 numbers) can I have these codes?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't have access to the vehicle right now, can I respond back this afternoon?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Absolutely! Just reply to this thread like you have been, and we can pick it up from here.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry about the delay, the two codes that came up were p 0457 and p0456
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
did you recieve my last message? p 0457, p 0456
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Sorry- I was "Offline" (next to my name it give my availability status).

For the P0456, I am going to need your vehicle's "Build Date" as there is a Service Bulletin for some effected vehicles. On the driver's side door jamb, there is a white tag. At the top of that tag, a build date. Was your vehicle built between January 26, 2007 and June 18, 2007?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no, I don't have the exact date, but it was in 2006

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.

Ok- thats all i needed to know.

The P0457 is the code for "Loose or Missing Fuel Cap" - although this may not be the main cause, seeing as the P0456 is set as well, it's a good idea to check it. Remove the fuel cap and check the o-ring on the underside for any cracks or chips missing from it. Make sure the cap seal tightly. Check the fuel filler neck for damaage or debris that may cuase the cap to not seal tightly.

The P0456 is a little tough to diagnose, and there is some visual inspections to perform first:

Perform a visual and physical inspection of the entire Evaporative Emission system.

Check for the following conditions:

- Holes or cracks

- Loose seal points

- Evidence of damaged components

- Incorrect routing of hoses and tubes

- Loose or missing Fuel Filler Cap

- Improper installation of the Fuel Fill Cap

- Damaged Locking tabs on Cap and/or fill tube

- Damaged seal points on Cap and/or fill tube

- Fuel cap gasket seal

If the above checks ok, the most common fail item with the P0456 is a faulty EVAP Purge Solenoid. Check the electrical connector for any loose or broken wires. Check, and then double-check the vacuum lines to and from this solenoid. If the visual inspection check ok, the solenoid is the best place to start. Another option is to have the EVAP system "smoked" - this is where a machine forces smoke throught the EVAP system, and the "small leak" will reveal itself. Most shops charge around $45-$65 for this service, but it's money well spent as chasing down an evap small leak "by eye" isn't very easy.

The duty cycle EVAP canister purge solenoid (1) is located in the engine compartment. It is attached to a tongue-type bracket near the brake power booster (3).