Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp

2007 dodge: i reset my security alarm

Customer Question

how do i reset my security alarm in my 2007 dodge ram. Battery was dead, took it out , replace with a new one and the red light is flashing not stop..help
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dodgerench replied 3 years ago.

Hi, my name is Ed. Welcome to Just Answer!.

The security system that's messing with you is called the Sentry Key Immobilizer System, which consists of a grey-colored key with an RFID chip and the module that reads it, which is referred to as the SKIM (or wireless control) module.

There isn't actually a way to disarm the sort of situation you're in normally, but what I'd suggest in this case is that you perform yet another battery disconnect. SKIM/ WCMs from this model year had issues with locking up electrically which could often be cleared with a prolonged electrical disconnect of 2 minutes or more. Oddly, the battery disconnect is what fixes it, not what sets it off... so you may or may not have success.

A crashed SKIM module means you cannot go for a ride obviously. Causes could include the possibility of a burned out fuse in the underhood fuse block but that seems a bit of a longshot. Actually, if you can locate the IOD fuse in the fuse block (called TIPM in this year), pull it out instead of disconnecting the battery. IOD is held in a white colored plastic fuse holder that has two tabs and is meant to be pulled straight up to disconnect certain systems for improved vehicle storage over long periods of time. SKIM shares this circuit and disconnecting IOD for 2 minutes or so usually settles the issue of whether the module is going to reboot... or not.

If you can't recover the WCM/ SKIM module, your choices will be limited to a tow truck ride to the dealer or having a locksmith visit you at the place where the truck sits. In addition to SKIM replacement, all keys in your posession will have to be presented so they can be introduced to the new module and if you happen to have a tire pressure monitor (TPM) system, all tire pressure sensors also have to be programmed. The truck will start and run with only the basic key function restored, but you'll have a perpetual TPM lamp on until the pressure sensors are programmed if the locksmith can't perform that function.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Good luck!

Ed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My truck is drivable, I am driving it now. I got up and the truck would not turn over, nothing. the battery was dead. I replace the battery an the truck crank up an drive nicly but that is when the red light started to bink. So what your saying is my truck should not have ran. Help me, please. I just wish to reset the binking light to go off. Thank you

I understand now. Send me the last 8 digits of your VIN so I can check to see if you even have SKIM on your truck. By rights it shouldn't be running with the red dot flashing, so you might have a confused instrument cluster... something that happened during the dead battery episode.

The 07 trucks usually don't have a grey key like I described earlier; it's going to be a SKREEM (combination remote-key) type unit, which doesn't look any different between SKIM-non-SKIM systems. I should be able to tell from your build configuration either way.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you . Here is the vin#. 1D7HA18K57J537095
There was no mention of SKIM on your 07 Electric Blue pearl coat Ram and with the lack of technical service bulletin coverage for this problem... I'm officially out of ideas we can try. You could (in theory) have this sort of issue if your vehicle communication system had crashed (when not equipped with SKIM), but you would also be noticing the lack of other features like the loss of gauge activity.

I'll opt out of your question in case someone has experience with the sort of problem you're having. Thanks for writing and hopefully an answer will be on the way shortly.

Thanks for writing!
Ed
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer, my name is Matt. I have seen this problem a few times. The dealership scan tool (WiTech) is required to correct it, unfortunately.

First, the 'restore vehicle configuration' procedure must be performed.

Then, reset the 'learned features' in the instrument cluster.

Occasionally the cluster 'learns' (erroneously) that the vehicle is equipped with the SKIM/SKREEM immobilizer system.