Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

Dodge Durango Limited I have a cummins 4bt .I want to put

Customer Question

I have a cummins 4bt .I want to put it into a 1998 durango. The durango has an automatic trans and the 360 engine. I want to keep everything (gauges etc.) that I can.I 'm thinking there are probably a number of ways to accomplish this but I'm not sure.Can the durango trans work somehow? Do I need to get an auto trans (47re) from behind a cummins? What do I need for the adaption of the 4bt between it and the transmission? I appreciate your help.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 5 years ago.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. At Just Answer the deposit you pay is not payment to the Expert, I only get paid if you click on accept, we receive no other pay. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed. If you are satisfied with the answer, and feel you can leave a positive feedback please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do.

You need a Cummins 6Bt transmission, there were several different types through the years. There is no way to adapt the stock trans you have. The 4BT is a good reliable engine that is great on fuel. You will want to use high rear end gears to maximize the fuel economy. somewhere near 3 to 1 is the best. The electronics will be a challenging, you will need to get a good wiring diagram, and make a plan before you get into it. The 4BT is a very heavy engine it weighs more than a big block V8 so you might want to consider some slightly stiffer front springs. It is tall too, so you need to mount it as low as possible to avoid hood clearance issues. There is a web site called http://www.4btswaps.com and they have a lot of good 4Bt info. I will post a link HERE for them. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on the green accept button. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Customer :

1. Will I need a mid 90's 47re and will I need the comp for what the trans came off of ? I've seen posts that say the gas 47re are the same as diesel except for the valve body and the torque converter.

Customer :

1. Will I need the 47re off a mid 90,s trans. Will I need the comp off the same truck the trans came off of?

Customer :

I,m having trouble understanding this format so it looks like I'm saying the same things over again and when I hit return it won't let me delete. I'll start all over again. 1. Will I need a 47re mid to late 90's trans and the same year comp for that trans?

Customer :

2.I've seen posts about the 47re gas and 47re diesel being the same except the valve body and the torque converter. Is that correct?

Customer :

3. When I bring the 47re together with the 4bt will I need an adapter and if so where can I get it?

Customer :

4. Will I need a different flex plate and torque converter for the 4bt than I"ll find on the front of the 47re from the mid to late 90's trans?

Customer :

5. Will I have any drive line fit problems between the durango drive lines and the 6bt trans?

Customer :

6. I think that's all for now. I will accept answers when these answers are complete. I do very much appreciate your time.

DR. Hamman :

The 6bt, and the 4BT do not have a bell housing flange cast into the block like most engines do. There is an adapter plate that bolts to the back of the engine. These are available for Dodge, GM, ford, and industrial transmissions. You need the adapter off of a 6BT Dodge engine. Don't forget to get the special bolts for it. The diesel transmissions use much tougher parts inside, and yes the valve body, and converter are different, but so is the bell housing, and other internal parts. Bottom line is you need a diesel transmission. There are two different 47 series transmissions. The 47RH, and the 47RE. The 47RH doesn't need a computer to operate it. You do have to electrically operate the overdrive, and that can be done fairly easily. The 47RE needs a computer to operate it, and that can be pretty overwhelming if you are not an electronic pro. It can be done, and there are expensive standalone computers that can drive the 47RE. Even though I have tons of electronic experience, I would go with the 47RH if at all possible. Use the 6Bt converter, flex plate. And if you go with the 47RE get the same year dodge computer to operate the trans. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.