sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

P0700..I know its a trans malfunction..running fine

I have a 2004 ram that pulled a p0700 code the other day. I know its a trans malfunction. the truck kinda lunged a few times but has been running fine since.how easy of a fix is this?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

P0700 sets in the engine controller when there is a code stored in the trans controller. This one is just informational and tells you to read the trans codes in the TCM. Do you know what other codes were stored besides the P0700?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

P0700 was the only code i found but only checked engine codes. Can check trans code tomorrow

That's what we'll need to do to see what is going on with it. If you can have the rest of the codes read and then come back and post them here I'll be able to tell you what is going on with it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Xcellent! about this time tomorrow i will have them. How do i get back in touch with you??

Just come back and reply to this question just as you have been tonight. I'll get notification that you replied and we'll pick it up from there.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you!!

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
was talking to sprinkles08 on 4-20-2011 and was asked for more info, but i became ill and did not respond back until now. i would like to continue with sprinkles08 if possible to give him the info he requested

Hi again!

What did you find out?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry for the delay. i was ill. trans codes are P0731 and P0876 can you help me with this?

Which engine do you have in your truck?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its actually my sons truck and hes not here. trying to get ahold of him but may take a few min i know its a 6 cylinder

That's close enough then. Six cylinder or V8 is really all I need to know.

I assume nothing has been done to try to fix the problem?

When it's first started in the morning does it delay before going into gear or feel soft when first pulling away?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

nothing done yet. my son said it has been driving fine and only hesitated the one time before i asked you, but the ck engine light is still on

The P0731 is a gear ratio error in first gear. Basically this means the trans had slipped while in first.

P0876 is for the underdrive clutch pressure switch. This code will set when the switch state is in the wrong position for a given gear. When the underdrive clutch is turned on there should be pressure, when the clutch is off there shouldn't be pressure.

What is most likely happening is a bad cooler filter in the trans is allowing fluid to drain back out of the torque converter and trans cooler while the truck is sitting. When it's restarted then it takes a bit for the trans to regain fluid prime. When the underdrive pressure switch doesn't close fast enough on startup it will set the P0876, and if the truck is put into gear before prime is gained again then it will set the P0731.

What I would recommend is changing both trans filters. The sump filter is directly on the bottom of the valve body and the cooler filter is the smaller spin on filter next to it. I'd recommend only Mopar parts for this, I've seen aftermarket filters cause this to happen. The sump filter's seal should be replaced along with the filter, which will need to be removed from the pump and then reinstalled with an appropriate sized socket. You'll need about 7-8 quarts of ATF+4 fluid to refill it. Disconnect the battery or use a code reader/scan tool to clear the codes, and the problem should be fixed.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I talked to my son and he said it does hesitate a few times going into gear but drives fine after. does this defer your answer in any way? also is this fix possible by just pulling the pan off? should i use mopar fluid or aftermarket ok

That's the exact symptoms that I thought he would have had and what I had described. The trans is losing prime as it sits. The pan will need to be removed and replace both filters. Aftermarket fluid should be ok as long as you use ATF+4.