Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

Dodge RAM 1500 4x4 why does my 2001 dodge ram surge while

<p>why does my 2001 dodge ram surge while driving under light loads</p><p>when you drive it sometimes acks like it running out of gas .when you push throttle on down it takes off ...sometimes you can fill it during hard acceleration slight surge/hesitation</p>

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There has been a service bulletin for that type of concern. That would involve a flash of the PCM, which would have to be done by the dealership, I hate to have to say.

Here is what it states.

Engine - Surge/Lack of Power/Erratic A/T Shifts

NUMBER: 18-006-02 REV. A

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 25, 2002

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING PROVIDED IN ADVANCE. THE MDS2 MUST BE OPERATING WITH CIS/ISIS CD2103 OR HIGHER, AVAILABLE MARCH 18, 2002.

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN 18-006-02, DATED MARCH 4, 2002, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. THIS IS A COMPLETE REVISION AND NO ASTERISKS HAVE BEEN USED TO HIGHLIGHT REVISIONS.

SUBJECT:
Flash: Surge, Lack of Power in 3rd Gear, and No 3/4 Upshift After 4/3 Downshift OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the JTEC Powertrain Control Module (PCM) with new software (00Cal19 and 01Cal18).

MODELS:

2000 - 2001 (BE/BR) Ram Truck NOTE :THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO 2000 AND 2001 (BE/BR) RAM TRUCKS EQUIPPED WITH A 5.2L, 5.9L, OR 8.0L ENGINE AND CALIBRATION LEVEL PRIOR TO (LESS OR LOWER THAN) THOSE LISTED IN THE OVERVIEW ABOVE.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

Some vehicles may exhibit one or more of the following performance conditions:

1. Perceived lack of power in third gear due to converter lock-up.
2. Surge after lock-up (40-45 m.p.h.) This reprogramming raises torque converter lock-up speed to 52 m.p.h.

NOTE :# XXXXX ABOVE APPLIES ONLY TO THE BE/BR 1500 4X4 EQUIPPED WITH THE 3.55 REAR AXLE.

3. Transmission does not upshift from 3rd gear after a 4/3 downshift. (Most often noticed when cruise control is engaged.)
NOTE :# XXXXX ABOVE APPLIES ONLY TO 2000 MODEL YEAR (BE/BR) TRUCKS.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So this is a common problem? Now sometimes I take off up a hill and you can fill it also .you can see the rpms jump up and down. Does this seem like all the symptons of this issue?
It is possible, but you also may want to check the fuel filter to be sure. We normally have to address any TSB's that may apply to the concern at hand, before doing any major work. Of course, checking the basics, (tune up related things, filters)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My understanding the filter is in the tank . Is it possible it could be stopped up?
It is at the tank. They do get clogged up like any filter but it is not as common. It probably would be better to have the PCM flash done, (that is bout 1 hour labor) first.