Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech
2947720

2007 DODGE: ANTIFREEZE..DEALERSHIP..THE RESERVOIR..RADIATOR

Customer Question

2007 DODGE CALIBER OVERHEATS AND YOU CAN SMELL ANTIFREEZE CONSTANTLY REPLACED THE LOWER UNIT CAN SEE NO LEAK. DEALERSHIP CANT FIND PROBLEM. THE RESERVOIR WILL BE FULL BUT, WILL NEED TO ADD FLUID DIRECTLY INTO RADIATOR
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Do you know if the rad cap was pressure tested or replaced? The rad cap has a pressure rating and if the cap can't hold pressure in the system, the coolant will boil out into the overflow bottle and the engine will overheat.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the radiator was tested at the dealership for 2 hours. The cap was pressure tested and no problem found there we did replace it though, just in case. Where should we look for a possible leak? Again, I never have to replace fluid in the overflow bottle, just directly into the radiator and there is alway a smell of antifreeze.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
When you say you replaced the "lower unit", what are you referring to?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

by lower unit she ment the the distribution manifold and heater hoses as well as the 205 and 170 degree thermostats. this was reccomended by the dealer from a tech bulletin from chrysler. no antifreeze is ever visible. the head gasket was also tested.

no fluid is contaminating the oil as well. just drove for three hours across florida and back with no problems.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I am going to have to opt out and see if any other Expert has run into this!

Sorry I couldn't help you! Good luck!