Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

2005 Dodge: cummins diesel..Low power..code low turbo boost..idles

Customer Question

2005 Dodge 2500 cummins diesel 4x4- Low power- had code low turbo boost- replaced sensor.. code still comes up- turbo spins when vechical idles..
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Do you know what the P code # XXXXX was it P0299?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dont remember right now could check it in the morning. Doug
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will run out to my shop, will have info in a few minutes.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Sure no problem, just let me know when you get a chance and I will get back to you asap. I will be gone tomorrow for most of the day, but I will try to get back to you asap!

You can read the codes with the key cycle and odometer and this is how to do that if you didn't know.

Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position, turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Code is P0299
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

The first thing you need to check if you haven't already is the air filter for restriction.

If the air filter looks good, I would like you to visually inspect all the large hoses and clamps from the turbo to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the intake to see if there is a loose clamp, split or loose hose.

This code could be caused by a restricted intake, intake system leak including intercooler, faulty turbo charger, and sensor(which you have replaced).

Check this out and we can go from there!

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have checked air filter it is clean, no holes in hoses..
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a way you can pressurize the intake system? We have a special tool that fits into the turbo inlet and it allows us to pressurize the intake system to 20-25psi to find leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No- I see the 2 bolts on the rear exhaust manifold are broke off..

The problem happened this winter when snow plugged the air filter when i was pulling a big load, turbo area got very hot.. But when I unplugged the snow fromn the intake and filter and installed a new dry filter the problem did not go away, i canceled the code but it comes back, still low power, smokes when step down on the pedal.

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

There's a good chance the turbo could have got damaged, but we should start by checking the basics first. It only takes about 20 minutes to pressure check the intake system and if you have no leaks, you should get you boost pressure tested with a scan tool. If you can't build boost and there aren't any leaks, you likely have a failed turbo

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a scan tool what should the boost?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
You should see at least 22-24 lbs boost when you accelerate wide open. Check to see what the boost pressure reads with just the key on and if it reads around 14 you will need to add 22-24 psi to that when you drive the vehicle wide open.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check the turbo psi on Monday, and see what it is.
Will then build something to test psi with.

Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Let me know how you make out or have any other questions!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hooked up my OBD2 and I see 2 other codes- P0073, P0107--

I thought it read out the turbo psi but i did not see it, unless I missed a line. have not used the scanner on this pickup, had no problems until now. Does it suppose to show the turbo psi on the OBD2 scanner?
THANKS,
Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Do you see a boost sensor or map sensor readout on your scanner?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Missed it--MAP 26 at idle 47 floored going down the road.

Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The Map sensor shouldn't show 26 psi at idle! Does it also show 26 psi with the key on engine not running?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Shows 27.1 with the key on(engine NOT running)

When idling it is 26.7
Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

The map sensor should show atmospheric pressure with the key on which is usually around 14 depending on your altitude.

The map/boost sensor is located on top of the intake and behind the intake heaters. You said you replaced this sensor, is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, it is on the driver side of the valve cover.

Elevation here is 3300' montana

Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

At 3000 feet, the pressure should be around 13 psi.

I'm not sure why it's reading that high, maybe a glitch with your scan tool??

Does your scan tool show the map sensor voltage?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would it be listed as map voltage? Will check and any other ideas, wastegate??

Engine is stock never done any work on it.

THANKS,
Doug

Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

I'm not sure we can trust what your scan tool is showing, your scan tool shouldn't be showing that much pressure in the intake.

I still think we have a low boost problem because the low boost code is setting.

The only other way to check the boost pressure would be to drill and tap a pipe thread into the intake plenum and thread a fitting in so we can check the pressure with a mechanical gauge.

I don't think the wastegate actuator is the problem. The wastegate is electronically controlled and I have never seen one cause this problem.

Without checking the intake actual pressure and pressure testing the intake system, I won't be able to help diagnose this. Can you check this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the best place to put the hole and size 1/4" and I take you have to remove the intake to remove the filings from drilling?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The best place to drill the hole is on the backside of the intake plenum above the wiring harness stud. You need to remove the intake plenum so you can drill and tap the hole. I always tap the holes to 1/8" pipe thread. You will need to drill a .339" hole and then tap it to 1/8" pipe thread. Make sure the tap gets started straight.