Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  25 years automotive expierience, Nissan factory trained, Subaru factory trained.
2921078

Where is the crank position sensor located on a dodge durango, 5.

Customer Question

where is the crank position sensor located on a dodge durango, 5.9L
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Greetings and welcome to JA! I will do my very best to assist you with your problem.
HI there! It is tucked on the block on the right side of the head near the exhaust manifold.
Here is a diagram of it's location, hope this helps!

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have this picture from yesterday. I visited the site then. However, I cannot seem to find it. Right side meaning passenger side or drivers side as you look from the front of the engine?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Passenger side of the engine.
It's a bugger to find. It is actually right at the very back of the engine and the notch is in the transmission where it sits,not the engine.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I want to say to look in behind the distributor on the back of the engine and to the right of it near the head.
ALso, if you still can't find it, check down by the starter. It is a different engine but won't hurt to check anyhow.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have looked all around the rear of the engine, traced every wire I can find, no luck, I'll look again. But, I see to the left of the distributor on the top back (as you look at the engine), there is a two prong wire plug that connects to a black tube looking thing (very similar to the CPS I purchased, but without a place to bolt it down) it is located literally two inches from the distributor cap and wires. What is this? Any Ideas? I don't see anything to the right, other than the fuel injectors, and wires that I've traced already. Maybe the part I need to find is nothing like the part I bought?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
IS this what you have?
97-03 DODGE Crankshaft Position Sensor 56027870 1500 2500 3500 JEEP Grand Cherokee 97 98 99 00 01 02 03
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
I have more info for you. You need to remove the right front inner fender liner to find this dog. It is on top of the engine towards the right cylinder head, but sits back so far on the engine you have to go from the right side inner wheel well to access it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=productsearch&cd=1&ved=0CF0Q9gIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.partstrain.com%2Fstore%2Fdetails%2FDodge%2F Durango%2FStandard%2FCrankshaft_Position_Sensor%2F2002%2FSIPC284.html%3Fptc%3DS1171391678W45d204bec356b%26ptstdodgedurango20002007standardsipc284102crpose&ei=BaWPTYeSOsS60QG12NCoCw&usg=AFQjCNHqjWHGcJw_uNcFZDUqLNvmacz6_A

this is the one I have. I'll look from the right fender. Looks like a bear to remove, but I'll try.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hey, that is for the 4.7L engine not the 5.9
If you have a 4.7 this is the location.,

graphic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll keep looking. Thanks for all your help. I do appreciate it.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
You are very welcome, just remember if you have the 5.9 then you have the wrong sensor,you need to look for the one I showed you.