hauto, tech
Experience:  15 years hands on experince, self employed

Dodge I just replaced power steering pump on 2008 dodge avenger

Customer Question

I just replaced power steering pump on 2008 dodge avenger with 2.4 liter engine. pump makes loud noise and the power steering does not work. Old pump made noise but pwer steering still worked. what did I do wrong ?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using JA.

The system has to be bled to get rid of the air.

make sure the fluid is all the way full, leave the cover off, with the engine off turn the steering wheel left to right and right to left about 20 times, check the fluid for bubbles

if bubbles remain re do the same steps till the bubbles are almost gone.

then place the cover on, start the engine and make sure there no whining sound, if it sound ok. repeat the steps with the steering wheel then check for bubbles, your goal is to get the steering to turn with ease, no noise and no bubbles. then your done.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried what you said and it makes no difference. I noticed in outlet of pump there is what seems to be a plunger and i don't see anything in hose end to depress plunger
Expert:  hauto replied 5 years ago.
I opted out to give some one else a chance to help you, hopefully some one has seen this before, thanks and best wishes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
was no help