Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500: 2wd..automatic..I am getting code p0500..tranny

Customer Question

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd 4.7 and automatic. I am getting code p0500. I replaced VSS on rear diff and tranny with no luck. Wires look good. I checked wires on ABS module 2 constant hot 1 keyed. Any ideas? I was thinking about replacing ABS module. Any way to check it?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Does the ABS light in the cluster stay on while driving?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes all the time. Truck also has 141k miles
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Does the speedometer needle jump around and is very erratic or is it not working at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no speedo at all
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a digital multimeter and are able to check the resistance of a circuit for me?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, I have a buddy who can help me with that tomorrow. What do I need to do? I have also noticed the truck started running a little rough, like missfiring.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
I need you to disconnect the abs module 14 way connector and measure the resistance between the red/violet wire and the white/violet wire. Let me know how many ohms resistance there is between those two wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can do that tomorrow what I am i looking for in resistance?
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.

1600 - 2300 ohms. If you your reading us within that spec, you will have to replace your ABS module. If the reading is open, you will have a break in one of the wires going to the rear sensor.

Thank you,

Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience: Over 22 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I replaced the ABS module. I got the speedo back and brake light went off, but ABS light flashes and dings.
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Did you replace it with a new or used module?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
From a salvage. It is supposed to be tested and in working condition with a lifetime warranty
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
The ABS warning light will flash if the tire size isn't programmed in the module. Would you be able to get the correct tire size programmed in the module to see if that will fix it? It only takes about 10 minutes to do and a high end scan tool is required.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will give that a try. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Richard replied 3 years ago.
Your very welcome! Good luck!