Richard, Dodge Technician
Experience:  Over 24 years of experience as lead tech and shop foreman.
18534624

What would cause the truck to just die even while driving???

Customer Question

Category: Dodge
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

a crankshaft position sensor is a common failure that can cause it to die while driving

when it dies did you notice if the engine light is on? the engine light should come on when it dies because of the stalled engine... if its out there is a good chance your crankshaft position sensor is shorting out the computer

let me know if you are loosing RPM signal when this happens and if the engine light is on or off.

does it restart right away?

Paul

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No it does not start right away but it does start back up. It acts like it is not getting gas but we changed the air and the fuel filter. The engine light was on but went off when we changed the air and fuel filter.

I would suspect the crankshaft position sensor

it is a very common failure

and it would cause it to be hard starting once it happens until letting it cool down

they tend to fail when they warm up

I would change the crankshaft sensor

Paul

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No its not the crankshaft sensor. What else could it be, It starts but just isn't running smooth and it will be fine for a bit and then just die. We have bled the fuel lines for air bubbles.

Most of the other problems that cause stalling only cause stalling at idle speeds

the crankshaft sensor is the only one I can think of that causes stalling while driving or at idle speeds.

I will see if any other experts have any ideas for you

Paul

Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Lets try this - Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed and starting with the key in the off position, turn it to ON, OFF, ON, OFF, ON (don't turn the key to the start position just on) within 5 seconds and leave the key on and watch the digital odometer to see if it displays a fault code. It will be a P followed by 4 numbers example P0700. When it is done displaying codes or if there are no codes it will say done. If you can't get this to work, please try it again following the instructions!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It came back with DONE. Anything else we can try??
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

That's strange! If the check engine light was on with the engine running, it should have a fault code stored and it doesn't.

When it dies will it start right back up or do you have to leave the truck sit awhile before it starts?

When it dies, does it die at highway speed, slow speed driving, coming to a stop or any of these driving conditions?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The first time it died while driving on the freeway. Since then just when driving at normal speed on city street, mostly like when turning a corner. It starts right back up as long as you push the gas pedal to the floor.
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.
It says your truck has a 5.7L Hemi engine, is this correct or do you have the 5.9L Cummins diesel?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5.9L cummins diesel
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

Did this problem start all of a sudden or did it gradually get worse?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
all of a sudden
Expert:  Richard replied 6 years ago.

This is going to be very hard for me to diagnose when there aren't any codes coming up.

I don't want to give you a guess or waste anymore of your time, so i will opt out and see if anyone else has an ideas for you.

Sorry I could help, good luck!