sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2003 dodge durango: consistent p0440 code, and occasional p0134 code

2003 dodge durango gets consistent p0440 code, and occasional p0134 code.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You've got a couple different model years listed. What year is your Durango?

P0134 doesn't show to be a valid code for either a 2003 or 2004 Durango with a 4.7. Can you double check that one?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sorry, it is p0137, o2 sensor low coltage bank 1, sensor 2

Great, thanks.

P0137 is for the left bank downstream oxygen sensor. This is the one on the left side after the catalytic converter. This code sets when the sensor's signal voltage goes low. It could be a wiring problem, but is very likely the sensor itself and it would need to be replaced.

P0440 is a general failure of the evaporative emissions system. This can be caused by a few things.

If you've checked over the system closely for leaks we should be able to rule a leak out.

Lack of vacuum to the purge solenoid will cause this code to set. There is a vacuum hose that goes from the left side of the intake to the purge solenoid. This hose often cracks at the intake and can leak or even fall off.

Also make sure the hose is in good shape from the purge solenoid down to the canister.

The most likely cause for this would be a bad natural vacuum leak detector (NVLD). This is the unit that checks the evap system for leaks. What normally happens is the switch in the NVLD doesn't close when the purge solenoid is commanded on to draw vacuum on the system, and it sets a P0440 or P0441.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you think the o2 sensor has anything to do with the p0440?

i've checked all the lines to intake, solenoid and back to canister. they all look good and a friend even ran a smoke test.

is the NVlD difficult to replace for a amatuer DIY?

The oxygen sensor problem isn't related to the P0440.

The NVLD isn't hard to replace at all. All you have to do is remove the two large diameter evap hoses from it and unplug the electrical connector to remove it.

Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

is this next to the battery? I replaced that but thought it was the purge solenoid

What is the correct model year?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2003 durango, 4.7 L V8
The NVLD is mounted to the left frame rail just forward of the canisters. You'll see the large diameter line leaves the canister and goes forward to the NVLD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you very much

You're welcome!