Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Dodge Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Dodge Diagnostics

Dodge Caliber How much is reasonable for a ball joint replacement

How much is reasonable for a ball joint replacement at a Chrysler dealership? I own a 2008 dodge caliber with 57,000 miles on it. Was quoted about $450.

Welcome to! My name is DriveFast71(Ron) and I will do my best to answer all of your questions completely and accurately.

On this vehicle, the Ball Joint is replaced by replacing the entire lower control arm (the ball joint is not sold or serviced seperately). The control arm with new ball joint sells for around $229 and the labor time guide calls for 1.2 hours to complete the job. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. Keep in mind- after this type of front end repair, it's highly recommended that you also get a front-end alignment as well.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I also need 4 new tires. They recommended that I get them now for the optimum results. They did tell me I would also need an alignment. Do you agree with this?

I don't exactly agree with the 4 new tires. I mean, if you see any sort of unusual wear (rub your hand along the face of the tire looking for any uneven wear or "feathering") then quite possibly, you need tires. However, if they still have good tread, and no wear- then I don't believe one faulty ball joint constitues 4 new tires.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, I do need tires, the tread is very low on all four. I have done a lot long distance driving in this car. Is it best to do all the work now? And is it common to replace a ball joint at 57,000 miles?

Ahhh. ok. Then yes, this is the BEST time to get the tires and work done. Have the ball joint replaced, then the tires put on and THEN the front end alignment. This will ensure everything wears in evenly.

Unfortunately, yes- it's actually quite common for front end parts to wear this early, especially since you do a lot of long distance driving.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I feel better now about getting the work done.
You're welcome! Glad I could help! Have a great day!