Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

dodge caravan awd How do I replace ball joints on 01 dodge

How do I replace ball joints on 01 dodge caravan awd?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

Tom :

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help the best I can. I may need to ask questions to better understand your concern.

The lower ball joint is integral to the lower control arm and has to be replaced as a unit.

Tom :

REMOVAL - LOWER CONTROL ARM

1. Raise vehicle.

2. Remove wheel and tire assembly.

3. Remove the steering knuckle.

4. Remove the bolts fastening the power steering cooler to the front suspension cradle crossmember reinforcement.

5. Remove the lower control arm rear bushing retainer bolts located on each side of each lower control arm rear bushing.

NOTE: The bolts fastening the cradle crossmember reinforcement are of three different thread sizes. Note the location of the various sizes.

6. Remove the bolts attaching the cradle crossmember reinforcement to the front suspension cradle crossmember. Remove the 2 bolts fastening the reinforcement and rear of cradle crossmember to the body of the vehicle. Remove the reinforcement.

7. Remove the pivot bolt attaching the front bushing of the lower control arm to the front suspension cradle crossmember.

8. Remove the lower control arm.

Customer:

There is one very long bolt which has a rubber bushing at the rear of the cradle crossmember reinforcement. I got the bolt out, but something is still holding the cradle crossmember reinforcement on at that point, even though I have everything else out. Can you tell me how to get that out so I can remove the cradle crossmember reinforcement?

Tom :

1 - STEERING GEAR
2 - RIGHT LOWER CONTROL ARM
3 - LEFT LOWER CONTROL ARM
4 - CRADLE CROSSMEMBER REINFORCEMENT
5 - REAR CRADLE CROSSMEMBER ISOLATOR BUSHING
6 - STABILIZER BAR
7 - CRADLE CROSSMEMBER

Tom :

Looks like there are about 8 bolts holding the reinforcement up.

Customer:

Sorry, but I can't read the image and when I click "full size image" it takes me to an unrelated site.

Tom :

Sorry, try this:

Full Size Image