sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

Dodge Journey SXT I got a check engine light on my Dodge Journey

I got a check engine light on my Dodge Journey SXT (RWD, 3.5 liter, w/64,873 miles), and the code that came up was: P0430 - CATALYST EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD BANK 2.

I cleared it and it keeps coming back after less than 100 miles.

Does this mean I have a bad catalytic converter, or could it be something else?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This could be caused by a bad front bank catalytic converter ,lazy front upstream oxygen sensor, or an exhaust leak anywhere from the manifold joint to shortly after the converter. Most likely though it's just a software issue. There was a software update for the powertrain control module for catalytic converter efficiency codes that set erroneously when there wasn't actually a problem. The first thing you're going to need to do is have your PCM software updated to the current level and see if the code returns. if you are under 80,000 miles this will be covered under the 8 year 80,000 mile Federal Emissions warranty.