brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2006 Dodge Caravan: air bag light..the hose..passenger seat

I have a 2006 Dodge Caravan. My air bag light and passenger air bag deactivation light won't go off. My mechanic checked all the connections and the hose on the bag and sensor on the passenger seat but they are OK. He wasn't able to retrieve any codes out of the module. I don't live near a dealership so I'm kind of stuck. What could be causing the problem? A bad airbag in the dash ? Vehicle only has just over 45,000 miles.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Is everything else for the vehicle working like the horn and cruise? Any other lights on?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No other lights on .Horn works. Why ?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
If the horn didn't work this would be an indication the clocksping is causing the problem but since it is working the clockspring should be fine. Have you tried to reset the system to see if the light would go off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If you reset it by disconnecting the battry , yes. The light started coming on last week when we were on a trip. At first it would just come on for a bit and then go off, but now it stays on all the time.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Is there any body damage to the vehicle at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
None visible. I bought the van used last fall. This is the first problem we have had.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
You may need a better scan tool to check for codes then as there should be some if the light is on
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are there any common part failures for the passenger air bag ?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
The pressure sensor for the seat. Also many times this will not read correctly if objects get pushed under the seat or if you drive the vehicle and put items on the seat like a brief case or a purse.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do the bags in the seat ever get a hole in them ?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Normally it is the sensor that fails, but you can't replace one separate of the other as it comes as an assembly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just called a dealer and they want $1200.00 !!!! for the stupid thing ! Is that right ?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is expensive.......That is why I suggest trying a different scan tool to try and get a code as will get expensive trying to replace parts.