Tom
Tom, ASE Master Certified
Experience:  Chrysler Level 3 Technician, Chrysler Training Instructor
20300296

2005 Magnum: I replace the gas shocks (struts)

Customer Question

how do I replace the gas shocks (struts) on my 2005 Magnum? I have the parts, but not sure how the old ones come off.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.

Tom :

Hi, and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help the best I can. I may need to ask questions to better understand your concern.

Tom :

I can copy and post the service manual procedure and then you can tell me what step you may be stuck on.

Tom :

REAR-WHEEL-DRIVE

Full Size Image
Special Tools: Click to display a list of tools used in this procedure

Essential Tools
Click here to launch the form to order any tools you need.

9360 - Remover, Ball Joint

Originally Shipped In Kit Number(s) 9329, 9515, 9516, 9516-CAN, 9517, 9517-CAN, 9518, 9519, 9540, 9541.

Full Size Image

1.If equipped, remove front shock tower cap (1) from top of shock assembly (4).

2.Remove three nuts (2) fastening shock assembly (4) to shock tower (3).

3.Raise and support vehicle. (Refer to 04 - Vehicle Quick Reference/Hoisting - Standard Procedure)

Full Size Image

4.Remove wheel mounting nuts (3), then tire and wheel assembly (1).

Full Size Image

5.Remove nut (2) fastening stabilizer link (3) to shock assembly (1). Slide link ball joint stem from shock assembly.

Full Size Image

6.Remove bolt (3) securing shock assembly (1) to lower control arm (4).

Full Size Image

7.Disconnect wheel speed sensor cable routing clip (2) at brake tube bracket (3).

Full Size Image

8.Loosen nut (4) attaching upper ball joint stud (1) to knuckle. Back nut off until nut is even with end of stud. Keeping nut on at this location will help keep end of stud from distorting while using Puller in next step.

Full Size Image

CAUTION: In following step, use care not to damage ball joint seal boot while sliding Puller, Special Tool 9360 , into place past seal boot.

9.Using Puller (2), Special Tool 9360 , separate upper ball joint stud (1) from knuckle.

Full Size Image

10.Remove nut (4) from end of upper ball joint stud (1).

11.Tip top of knuckle outward using care not to overextend bake flex hose.

12.Remove shock assembly from vehicle.

Customer:

Sorry for the confusion. I need help with the hood struts (shocks) that hold the hood up.

Tom :

Ah, much different.

Customer:

apologies

Customer:

I've been trying so many different wordings in search engines and can't find anything applicable

Tom :

Try this:

REMOVAL

Full Size Image

1.Open and support the hood with a suitable prop or block.

2.Insert a small flat-bladed tool into the lower notch of the retainer (1) of the lower ball socket end (2) of the support cylinder on the top of the fender load beam and carefully pry the retaining clip upward to the installation position.

Full Size Image

WARNING: To avoid personal injury or death, during service lift the ball socket end retaining clip only far enough to release the socket from the ball stud. Excessive prying or removal of the clip may result in improper clip spring tension. Improper clip tension may result in the support cylinder separating from the ball stud causing sudden, unexpected loss of hood support.

3.Insert a small flat-bladed tool (3) into the notch on the outer face of the upper ball socket end (1) of the support cylinder and carefully pry the retaining clip (2) outward while pulling the ball socket away from the ball stud (4) on the upper hood hinge bracket.

4.Release the retaining clip to its installed position.

5.Disengage the lower ball socket from the ball stud.

6.Remove the support cylinder from the vehicle.

Customer:

looks much more like what I need, thanks...;-) Is there any special trick to it? looks like I start with the end on the block and not the one attached to the hood itself...is that correct?

Tom :

Yes, just make sure you have a prop rod n place so you don't get a hood on your head.

Customer:

yep...got it wedged with a wood slat...

Customer:

thanks....I'll be hitting the accept button now...appreciate it.

Tom :

Cool. I pocket sized screwdriver is the best tool for that stuff.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Tom...got a note you wanted to chat. Or is it left over from our previous session?
Expert:  Tom replied 5 years ago.
Must be leftover from earlier. Probably because I posted after you left to accept. Thanks again glad you got it figured out.