Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL

2003 Dodge RAM 2500: intermittent brake/abs lights come

2003 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel. Have recently (last couple weeks) had intermittent brake/abs lights come on, seems to mostly happen when turning to the right. Then goes off. Pedal seemed fine, until today. The pedal lost pressure when stopping in a parking lot. Felt almost like the pedal was pushing back upwards into my foot. ?? The truck did stop but it took a lot of pressure to do so. Then it seemed fine afterwards. Happened again in next parking lot, but hasn't since. Any thoughts?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is usually caused by a bad brake hydro booster, or a bad power steering pump, does the steering get hard when this happens?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
DIDN'T notice the steering getting harder
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
then its going to be in the hydro booster, it can bypass internally, the power steering pump provide the hydraulic boost for the brakes, if the steering doesnt het hard, then this leaves the hydro boost unit,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think this answers the lights issue and the intermittent brake pedal pressure loss both? If the steering does get hard, could that mean a power steering pump issue? If so, I'll go drive it around (slowly, here in the neighborhood) and try to replicate the issue to check the steering. I was going straight w/o turning the wheel both times this happened, so I'm unsure about the steering question, just htat I didn't notice any difficulty with the wheel. Was a bit focused on the brake at that point Thanks bud!
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 3 years ago.
Yes, the hydroboost will cause the pedal problem and the light problem, first double check the steering when driving slow, if the steering is good when the brakes are not, then replace the hydrobooster, if the steering is also hard, then replace the p/s pump,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL