sprinkles08
sprinkles08, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep master tech
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2004 Dodge Caravan: door locks..passenger..unlock..sliding doors

On 2004 Dodge Caravan door locks on driver and passenger doors lock and unlock but the sliding doors don't both sides. Why?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you have a test light to do some testing or are you just looking for possible causes?

Are these power sliding doors or manual?

If you unlock the doors by hand are the lock buttons stiff to move?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They are manual doors but I don't think they are stiff to move but the caravan is not here at the moment

The first thing you would want to do is unlock them and relock them by hand to see if they move stiffly. If they do then the lock solenoids are bad and will need to be replaced.

If they feel ok then some electrical testing will need to be done to see what is going on. There are two main electrical causes for this, either broken wiring or bad lock solenoids. If you open the doors and look in the lower opening you will see a wiring harness inside a black plastic chain. These wires flex each time the door moves and can end up breaking. If you were missing power and ground to the lock solenoids then the problem is likely in this harness.

If you did have power and ground to the lock solenoids when actuated but they won't work then they would need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
These solenoids where are they located I checked the wiring in those chains it looked good condition

The wire strands will break inside the wire's insulation, so you can't always visibly see a break.

The lock solenoids are mounted to the door latches in the back of the doors.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since they both don't work would they have a ground some where yet for both doors in one place?
No. Lock solenoids are controlled by the BCM using push/pull drivers. There are two dedicated wires from the BCM to each lock solenoid. Pressing the lock button sends power and ground one direction, pressing the unlock button uses the same two wires and reverses polarity.
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist