Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years exp. troubleshooter, driveability tech

1995 dodge dakota: truck passenger door..lock rod..inside door handle

Customer Question

Something fell apart inside my 1995 dodge dakota truck passenger door and it won't open.
I managed to get the inside panel off and the lock rod and inside door handle seem to be operating. However the door latch will not release!! How can I get to the door latch to see if I can release it from the post??????
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Instructor jp replied 3 years ago.

Hello I will try to help

Does the truck have power locks?

How cold is where you are? Looking to see if is just frozen

Here is a picture of the linkage

jp

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>Yes the door has electric locks. No it is not a frozen condition as we are in florida!! Before total failure the door would not work with outside handle, however until it fell apart the inside hanle worked . I found the linkage rod for the outside hanle in the bottom of the door after I pulled the panel.Can i access the door latch if I remove the back seat side panel?? It may be that the latch lock is not releasing which leaves me with the big question of</p><p>'how do i get the door opened"??????</p>

All the mechanism for the passenger door is in the door so that will not help us. Have you tried to operate the power lock rod with your hand and then while holding the lock rod pull on the inner door rod?

Is it possible something is trapped in the latch like cloth?

jp

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried just about everything including your latest of pulling up on the power lock rod and operating the inside handle rod. they both operate their door connections but it seems like the door latch is just not releasing form the door post. Can I gert to the door post via the back seat side panel opening?/

There is no access to any mechanism from the rear seat panel. The striker is the only thing with the bolts only removable with the door open. Look at your drivers door for reference.

This is perplexing! THe door latch has some how damaged.

I have a Dakota here at the shop. I will be able later this evening to give you my thoughts if you like after taking the panel off of this truck

jp

Edited by Instructor jp on 2/19/2011 at 5:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have reviewed the drivers door long ago and still can't open the door short of damaging it in the area of the striker. Thanks for your help JP but I'm done!!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I still have no answer and it looks like I need to use a crowbar. the latch won't release from the striker and the striker is not accessible when the door is in closed position.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have checked that the electric lock solenoid rod is and is in the unlocked position and the inside door handle is connected and working, however the door latch assembly itself is locked up on the striker and the door in in the closed position. My question is and has been, how do I get the door to poen??????