Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience:  I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.
9795573

dodge 440: be a cause for a 727-b tranny..slip)..shifter..shifts fine

what could be a cause for a 727-b tranny with a dodge 440-3 motor, to skip second gear and fall into 3rd gear. it does hit the second gear but only for a half second then into 3rd gear. (it does not slip). when i shift it manually by the shifter starting in first then manually into second it shifts fine. but then manually shifting into 3rd it slips and the engine revs then goes into 3rd. and it also will not go into second from 3rd by mashing the gas peddle.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 3 years ago.

DR. Hamman :

Hi, I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed.

I would pull the pan and tighten the second gear band to the proper specifications. I would also check the linkages on the valve body, and look to see how much debris are in the pan. Missing 2nd is pretty common if the valve body senses problems with second gear. It is much more common for second to just be missing as opposed to working when manually shifted. Because it works sometimes and then other times it doesn't work I would also suspect that the valve body might have problems and needs to be cleaned. Keep an eye out for sticky plungers in the valve body, it is a common cause of shifting problems. Also be sure the kick down linkage is present and adjusted properly. On a 727 trans you HAVE to have the kick down linkage installed and adjusted, or it will burn the transmission up from lack of transmission oil pressure. If you have any more questions I am here to help. Good luck, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I hope this helps, 100% satisfaction is my goal. If the answer is not clear, please reply and I will assist you more. When you're satisfied, click on accept. I don't get paid unless you do. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

Dr. Hamman, Dodge Technician
Experience: I have 30 years of Dodge Technician experience. I know these cars in great detail.