hauto
hauto, tech
Experience:  15 years hands on experince, self employed
24868125

2003 dodge ram 1500: my ABS and emergency brake lights comes..quad cab

Why would my ABS and emergency brake lights comes on and off on my dash about every 5 minutes ... I have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 quad cab ...
Category: Dodge
Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using JA.

The amber brake light comes on in connection with the abs light and doesn't not represent a fault.

The abs light on the other hand come on when the abs module detects a fault in the system and registers a fault code in its memory.

To find out what this code is the module has to be scanned and the fault diagnosed.

Most likely it's a fault wheel speed sensor,or a harness. some sensor may be attached to the hub and bearing assembly, so it's replaced as a unit.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I live in Alaska and the truck is always outside so is it possible that the sensor is just frozen and giving a false reading? Also if the ABS sensor/unit needs to be replaced does it need to be replaced right away or can it wait ... I just wanted to know if it is a safety issue if I do not replace it right away ..

Thanks,

Expert:  hauto replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply, The weather doesn't effect the function of the sensor, it basically shorts out internally. You cab drive the truck as long as you want, The abs option is de activated but the actual brakes will continue to work as intended.
hauto, tech
Experience: 15 years hands on experince, self employed