Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech

Dodge Durango SLT I just replaced the PCM on my 1999 Dodge

Customer Question

I just replaced the PCM on my 1999 Dodge Durango and the first time I started it it started just fine the second time it took a few tries and then 15 minutes later the engine just quit and it would not restart. Everything intact, only change is the red security light on the instrument panel?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Did you program the vehicle's VIN# into the new PCM?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the unit from auto computer exchange who I gave all the information about my vehicle including the VIN #, mileage etc and it came fully pre-programmed, ready to install.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok, then either the exchange folks got the VIN# wrong, or this re manufactured PCM is defective. If the old PCM will still run the engine for 30 minutes like you say, then the Problem must be with the new PCM. I think you need to return it and get another one (this happens some times).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If that is the case, then why would it haved started at all and then allow the engine to run for 15-20 minutes before it shut off and then displayed the security light display. I have heard you can reset the PCM, would that work?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Well the fact that it did run for 15-20 minutes tells me that it is not a security system problem. If it was it would have started and died within 2 seconds. There is no way to really reset the PCM other than doing a battery disconnect. Now does it still run for about 30 minutes with the old PCM? If so than there has to be an internal defect with the new one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did not tell me anything I did not know already. Already shipped the PCM back figuring it was faulty and received a replacement yesterday. Everything you said was already a given and commom sense and di not resolve my issue.