Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Dodge/Cummins and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge Durango SLT I just replaced the PCM on my 1999 Dodge

Customer Question

I just replaced the PCM on my 1999 Dodge Durango and the first time I started it it started just fine the second time it took a few tries and then 15 minutes later the engine just quit and it would not restart. Everything intact, only change is the red security light on the instrument panel?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. Did you program the vehicle's VIN# into the new PCM?

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the unit from auto computer exchange who I gave all the information about my vehicle including the VIN #, mileage etc and it came fully pre-programmed, ready to install.
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.

Ok, then either the exchange folks got the VIN# wrong, or this re manufactured PCM is defective. If the old PCM will still run the engine for 30 minutes like you say, then the Problem must be with the new PCM. I think you need to return it and get another one (this happens some times).

Chris

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If that is the case, then why would it haved started at all and then allow the engine to run for 15-20 minutes before it shut off and then displayed the security light display. I have heard you can reset the PCM, would that work?
Expert:  Chris replied 5 years ago.
Well the fact that it did run for 15-20 minutes tells me that it is not a security system problem. If it was it would have started and died within 2 seconds. There is no way to really reset the PCM other than doing a battery disconnect. Now does it still run for about 30 minutes with the old PCM? If so than there has to be an internal defect with the new one.

Chris
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did not tell me anything I did not know already. Already shipped the PCM back figuring it was faulty and received a replacement yesterday. Everything you said was already a given and commom sense and di not resolve my issue.