Neal, Dodge Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experience in Dodge Chrysler and Plymouth

2003 dodge ram 1500: rear end..a bearing..grinding..differential

Customer Question

i have a 2003 dodge ram 1500 and the rear end started making sounds like a bearing was going out. like a grinding humm. I got up under the rear end to find rearend oil slung al around and it looks like it comming out of where the driveshaft ujoint and the flange from the differential meet. to be clear,not from the sleeve of the shaft going into the differential but from where the ujoint and the flange mate with 4 bolts binding it together. I ran down to napa and they sold me a pinion bearin and seal. i took the drive shaft loose and tied it out of the way and a little fluid poured out upon removal. I also took the wheels off and rear coverplate to get to the inside. now looking at this thing, if i remove the nut is there a seal there? the seal napa sold me looks to be roughly 2" and the nut is only 1 1/4". I have a book but it only tells me how to replace the pinion seal not the pinion bearing. is there any way to change it out without taking the whole pumpkin and driveshafts and gears out? or would i be easier to just find a new rearend?
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process, thanks.

I Think they sold you the wrong seal. But if you had a grinding hum, then you have a bad bearing and that slop is why the seal was leaking. In this case you are better off time and money wise to just get another rear end. Make sure you get one from a scrap yard with a warranty as you will know right away if there is something wrong with the new one and you can swap it out if needed.