Mopar Certified
Mopar Certified, Dodge Technician
Experience:  24 Year Chrysler/Dodge Certified Specialist

1999 ram 1500: eng..4wd..replaced the actuator..transfer case shifter

I have a 1999 ram 1500 5.2 eng the 4whl light does not come on ever and it wont go into 4wd. I just replaced the actuator on front axle still nothing? the transfer case shifter feels good and low range works just no 4whl dr.
Welcome to Just Answer Dodge my name isXXXXX realize that all my answers are based solely on the info you provide me......

As you know the 4x4 is actuated by a vacuum shift motor on the front axle. This vacuum signal comes from a vacuum switch on the top of the transfer case. So, what you need to do is see if you are getting vacuuming to the switch, and then you need to see if there is vacuum coming out of the switch when you shift to 4x4, engine running of course.

If there is vacuum going in and nothing coming out then you have a bad switch.......which is fairly common as ar vacuum leaks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for answer. yesterday when I replaced the vac shift motor I had my gal sit in truck with eng runnin and with orig unit in hand it would pull out but not push in. then I grabbed new vac motor only hooked up vac hoses and it would go in and out but not crisp? Put back together and changed nothin. still no 4wd light and no 4wd , I traced the vac hoses back to top of trans but could not see anything to me it seems like vac to unit is weak at best. checked all over eng for vac leaks could not find any any easy way to get to switch on top???
Here is a pic showing the switch. It will be on the top side of the case.......just follow the vacuum lines to it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Einstein and have a great day!!!
You're welcome!