Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech
12365498

Dodge: defrost..cold air coming out of the drivers side dash..radiator

can hot air coming out of the defrost vent and cold air coming out of the drivers side dash be a radiator issue? Sounds silly but that what my mechanic (no dodge) told me after he replaced the heater blower. He put a new radiator in because he said it had a hole in it and the problem is still there. I think he screwed up the heater box blending door and doesnt want to admit it because of the cost of fixing it.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. Let me see if I can help you with this. A radiator issue cannot cause this problem that you are describing. Something is wrong inside of the HVAC housing (heater box). When you change the mode dial, does the air switch to the positions you select? does the temp knob affect the air's temperature when you change it?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
air direction to dash, defrost and floor all work. just no hot air to dash and floor on drivers side. is it possible he screwed up the damper door while installing a new heater blower?
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

well to be honest with you, you do not need to remove the heater box and open it up to replace the blower motor on this model truck, so there should not have been any intervention with the blend door. Did the mechanic actually pull the box out and open it up?

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't think he did, but all the heat flow vents worked before he replaced the blower. could he have bumped a rod to the door and broke it. he says coincidence. hmmm
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

Hmmm is right. It is possible that he damaged the blend door actuator i suppose. Another thing it could be is that there is air in the cooling system, and only half of the heater core is getting hot. This could of happened when the radiator was replaced, and when he refilled the cooling system, the air did not get purged correctly. Make sure the radiator is full.

Chris

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>he checked the fluid.. he said he could hear the door actuator working when he gave it back to me but no hot air came out the drivers side dash and floor. I think he f'ed up something while replacing the blower. yes or no Chris, you think its possible? Then I'll let u get back to work on serious engine questions instead of a mere carpenter trying to get his feet warm :)</p><p> yoo hoo, you still there?</p>
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.

I suppose he could have messed it up doing the blower replacement. Maybe you should have another tech double check his work. And even though he said he checked the coolant level, it needs to be rechecked just to be sure.

Chris

Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience: ASE and Chrysler Certified Master Tech