brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

2002 Dodge Durango: shift..park..I have tryed everything..car back

Customer Question

Will not shift out of park. 2002 Dodge Durango. I have tryed everything, rocking the car back and forth worked 2 time before. Now nothing works.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is Jeff and I am here to try and assist your with your question. When you push down on the brake pedal do the brake lights light up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes... The drivers side bulb is out right now.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
If rocking worked before then the shift interlock cable may be out of adjustment and would suggest you check this before doing anything else.

ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE
  1. Remove the steering column trim as necessary for access to the brake transmission shift interlock.
  2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

1. Pull upward on both the BTSI lock tab and the gearshift cable lock tab (Fig. 55).
  2. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
  3. Verify positive engagement of the transmission park lock by attempting to rotate the propeller shaft. The shaft will not rotate when the park lock is engaged.
  4. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
  5. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
  6. Push the gearshift cable lock tab down until it snaps in place.
  7. Locate the BTSI alignment hole in the bottom of the BTSI mechanism between the BTSI lock tab and the BTSI connector.
  8. Move the BTSI assembly up or down on the gearshift cable until an appropriate size drill bit can be inserted into the alignment hole and through the assembly.
  9. Push the BTSI lock tab down until it snaps into place and remove the drill bit.
  10. Install any steering column trim previously removed.

BTSI FUNCTION CHECK

1. Verify removal of ignition key allowed in PARK position only.
  2. When the shift lever is in PARK, the ignition key cylinder should rotate freely from off to lock. When the shifter is in any other position, the ignition key should not rotate from off to lock.
  3. Shifting out of PARK should be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the off position.
  4. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible while applying normal force, and ignition key cylinder is in the run or start positions, unless the foot brake pedal is depressed approximately 1/2 inch (12 mm) .
  5. Shifting out of PARK should not be possible when the ignition key cylinder is in the accessory or lock position.
  6. Shifting between any gear and NEUTRAL, or PARK, may be done without depressing foot brake with ignition switch in run or start positions.
  7. Engine starts must be possible with shifter lever in PARK or NEUTRAL positions only. Engine starts must not be possible in any position other than PARK or NEUTRAL.
  8. With shifter lever in the:
    • PARK position - Apply upward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
    • PARK position - Apply downward force on the shift arm and remove pressure. Engine starts must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position - Normal position. Engine starts must be possible.
    • NEUTRAL position - Engine running and brakes applied, apply upward force on the shift arm. Transmission shall not be able to shift from neutral to reverse.