Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan: Gas mileage..troubleshoot

Gas mileage has suddenly dropped on 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. I would like to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
Submitted: 6 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Dodge
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Is check engine light on?

How many miles on your van?

what maintenance has been done recently - air filter, spark plugs, wires, etc?

have you noticed any fuel smell in the exhaust?

what has the drop in mileage been - from how many mpg previously to how many mpg now?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Check engine light is not on.

There are 60,000 miles on the van.

Maintenance: oil change, new rad, new egr valve

Mileage is just over half of what it was previously. Not sure exact numbers, we just know how often we used to fill up and it has just about doubled.

Have not noticed gas smell.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Ok, at 60,000 miles, you need to start with 2 things and then go from there is mileage is still down.

We need to start with replacing the plugs and wires, and then have a direct induction cleaning of the injectors done. This needs to be done every 30,000 miles. It is not the same as running some injector cleaner thru the tank. Instead, the fuel pump is shut off and then the direct induction cleaner is run thru the intake manifold via vacuum hose straight to the injectors to clean them of carbon deposits. It generally costs $80-100 for this service, but is well worth it as it is night and day difference.

I would start with the above as they are due at the current mileage on the van and they can make a 25% and higher difference on your gas mileage.
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

I noticed that you viewed and downloaded the answer. If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise please click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day