brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

Dodge Dakota I have a 1996 dodge dakota 3.9 with the distributor

I have a 1996 dodge dakota 3.9 with the distributor out how do you reinstall an make sure it on #1
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to try and assist your with your question. Here is how to install the distributor

1. rotate crankshaft until No. 1 cylinder piston is at top dead center on its compression stroke and indicating mark on damper aligns to °mark on timing chain cover.
  2. Clean top of cylinder block for a good seal between distributor and block, then lightly oil rubber O-ring on distributor housing.
  3. Install rotor on distributor shaft, then position distributor into engine, engage tongue of distributor shaft with slot in oil pump drive gear.
  4. Position rotor to No. 1 spark plug cable position, then install distributor hold-down clamp and clamp bolt. Do not tighten .
  5. Rotate distributor until rotor is aligned to ``CYL. NO. 1 '' alignment mark on camshaft position sensor,
  6. Tighten clamp hold-down bolt. Torque bolt to 200 inch lbs.
  7. Connect switch plate wiring harness and install distributor cap.
To find number one top dead for the engine put your finger in the number one cylinder when cranking it over and you will fee the compression (blow your finger out) and then you know it is on the compression stroke and then line up the damper to the mark on the timing cover and follow the instructions I sent earlier
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
is that the mark that reads TDC and prosition #1 on the distributor and won,t drop in because of oil pump rod I tried to turn it with a screwdriver but doesn,t turn
If you cant get the oil pump rod to move hold the distributor down with a little tension with your hand and rotate the engine slowly by hand until the distributor drops in. You will need someone to help you do this